Resolve 12 - Cannot choose "BMD Film 4.6K" anymore

Started by Flocksock, June 20, 2016, 09:50:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flocksock

Got a problem with Davinci Resolve 12.3.2.008
Win7

I shoot RAW with my Canon 50D and convert to DNG using ML MlRawViewer_1_4_3.
In Davinci Resolve i set the White Balance to Costum
Color Space = BMD
Gamma = BMD Film 4.6K

With the new DNG Files... i cannot select "BMD Film 4.6K" anymore.
And with the old files.. if i switch to Rec709 and than set the color space to "BMD" again..
i also cannot choose BMD Film 4.6K anymore. Only "BMD Film".
I graded all the footage using "BMD Film 4.6K". So i have to use it.

EDIT: maybe it has something to do with an update from and older Resolve 12 Version.
In the old Version i could select BMD Film 4.6k. and in the new version not. (but the program is so smart
to keep the 4.6k files in that 4.6K "Gamma" space mode)

It would be helpfull if someone can tell me if he can use "Gamma = BMD Film 4.6K" in Resolve 12.3.2.008

Andy600

I came across a similar issue pre-12.5 and according to BMD it's to do with 'valid' gamma settings Ref: https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?t=44351&p=257072. (not my post but the OP had the same issue)

You can see all gammas when you first import the DNG files for legacy reasons but once you change the settings and save the project it will remove the other options (probably a flag in the database!?) - I'm still unsure why that happened but then 12.5 came out with enhanced RCM and OFX.

You have 2 options:

1) Update to 12.5 and use the OFX colorspace plugin on every clip (add a node for the plugin before your grade nodes).

2) Stick to 2.3.2.008 and, with BMD Film debayer selected for each clip, add nodes with the 'BMDFilm to Linear' and 'Linear to BMDFilm4.6k' luts before every grade for every shot. This should work because you selected BMD Film gamut previously even though actual BMDFilm 4.6k has different primaries.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Flocksock

Thanks. Even the 12.3 version is buggy. If i got my nodes open. than switch between Fullscreen and back... the nodes are closed. (grrr. not cool when you sometimes only work on  one monitor) I don`t want t to switch to beta. because i saw many crashes on youtube and do not want became a "beta tester". Even 12.3 feels like beta sometimes.

i was only at the beginning of the project.
So i took snapshots and switched from "4.6K" to "BMD Film".

Danne

Andy600

Resolve 12.5 has been out of beta for a couple of weeks now. The general consensus is that it's as stable, if not more stable, than previous versions. The only real caution is to check 12.5 recommended specs if you have older graphics cards because some have been unsupported.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

GutterPump

Quote from: Andy600 on June 21, 2016, 04:33:50 PM

1) Update to 12.5 and use the OFX colorspace plugin on every clip (add a node for the plugin before your grade nodes).

I don't really understand well how work the OFX "Color Space Transform" in resolve 12.5, and what option i need choose for an optimal render.

I was used to choose BDM film and BMD 4K film in "Camera raw" part for color space and gamma + apply the "BMD FILM 4K to Cinelog-C" LUT on my first node. But now i'm confused.

If someone could help me  :)

Andy600

@GutterPump - Cinelog-C is really for use with DaVinci YRGB colorscience as it was developed before RCM was added to Resolve. If you want to continue using the Cinelog luts you should use YRGB color science (in the main settings panel) and check that the workspace is set to BMD Film, then just work as before.

RCM and the OFX colorspace plugin can perform the same function as the BMDFilm4k to Cinelog-C colorspace lut but you need to setup the workspace, however, as the poster of this topic pointed out, his raw settings became inaccessible so for safety reasons I would suggest only using BMD Film gamma, not 4k or 4.6k - the other options are there specifically for use with the BM Production 4K and URSA cameras and could disappear.

GutterPump

@Andy600

Thanks you for your answer, it's more clear, so I'll continue as before without asking too many questions ! :)
I can conclude that using Resolve 12.5 with cinelog-C is not a problem?

I'm always worried about having to change the way of doing my workflow at each update of Resolve.

GutterPump

I did this video :

https://vimeo.com/171761704
(sorry for the bad quality)

I want know if i'm in the good way about "Color management settings" in DR 12.5 with this workflow ?
If yes i hope to help some folks, but the result look like nice.

I have follow your recommandations in your Cinelog-C thread.
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=10151.msg166250#msg166250