Testing Anamorphic adapter with Magic Lantern

Started by andresharambour, June 13, 2016, 05:29:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andresharambour

Hey guys,

It's been really long since I posted anything in the forum. Lately I've become obsessed with anamorphic lenses and started trying them out. At first me and a friend bought a Kowa 2x anamorphic, but it was one of those huge projection lenses. Quality is very good, but the size and weight just make it ver hard to handle. Also, the minimum focusing distance is around 6 meters, which is another reason it's not the best lens to use. Here's a picture:

After reading a lot about recommended anamorphics and best models, I found a Sankor 16D on ebay. I received it a few weeks ago and started playing with it.
This is what it looks like in front of a Canon 100mm macro lens:

It's still big, but a huge difference compared to the golden Kowa I used before. With some effort you could even use it handheld.

This is a great lens, has a lot of character to it, producing that stretched bokeh and quality is very good.

The following video was done while we were testing the lens. We did 2 shots of my friend putting some film on an old Minolta camera and that was it.

- Sound was recorded using a Zoom h4n and then synced in premiere.
- I shot both clips using magic lantern in 4:3 aspect ratio and 1600x1200 (if I remember correctly) in a 5D mkiii. I then adjusted the clips in Davinci Resolve to fit into 1920x720.
. Proxies were generated in Resolve
- Editing was done in Premiere using proxies
- Color was done in Resolve and then replaced the proxies in Premiere.

I thought this would be interested to post here. Please let me know if I'm missing anything or if you just want to know more details.

Andres

extremelypoorfilmaker

Did you made sure that the anamorphic adapter was properly alligned? I think I saw some slanted lines in your video! :)

regardless, if you lived in Italy it would be nice to connect. Me and some friends are exploring the possibilities to shoot with anamorphic adapters a very nice short film, and we are currently looking for other people to come on board! :)

where did you get the clamps? From vidatlantic?
Thanks!

andresharambour

Hey extremelypoorfilmaker,

There might be some misalignment in the video, it was all pretty spontaneous, so we didn't really check that properly.

I would love to join you guys but I'm in Argentina, a bit far from you, lol.

And yes, the clamps are from vidatlantic.

Thank you for your comments!

extremelypoorfilmaker

I was only joking about the misallignment. :) If you would like to see my most recent video, you will notice it too even though i made sure my Anamorphic adapter was properly alligned.

I shot that video with an Kowa prominar 16-s 2x

andresharambour

I'll Check it out now for sure! A friend just bought a Kowa for bell & howell, looks really good. A bit shorter than the sankor, but a bit heavier as well.

Thanks for the input!

extremelypoorfilmaker

Here's the link to my latest video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbo1SvO667A

(Or, you can find it in the Share Your Video section of the forum under: "My Latest Effort, In Anamorphic")

Shooting full frame, probably the best option is using a Kowa prominar Bell & Howell or a 16-H or 8Z
I actually just bought a Kowa 8z, and it is optically flawless. Once focused properly it is Razor sharp. The one i got unfortunately, doesn't seems to flare that much even though that it is directly affected by the taking lens. The upside of using a Kowa 16-h / 8-z / bell & Howell is that now the shortest taking lens becomes a 50mm without going crazy with vignetting