Features that assist with manual focus?

Started by vtrandal, August 20, 2012, 10:42:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtrandal

The primary reason I want to use Magic Lantern is for features that assist with manual focus like Focus Peak and Increase SharpContrast. But neither one seems to do anything in x5/x10 zoom as far as I can tell. I don't find Magic Zoom at x3 zoom useful and here's why:

As a simple manual focus test I sometimes take a photo of a street sign a block a way. In the resulting photo I can read the street sign if taken with a Sony NEX that has Focus Peaking at x10 zoom. I cannot do this with a Canon with or without Magic Lantern.

Any suggestions? Please don't say buy a Sony NEX :)

a1ex

You can see what SharpContrast does by following these steps:

1) set contrast and sharpness to maximum, from picture style
2) set them back to your usual settings
3) compare the images

The sharpness increase looks very similar to the focus peaking used on SmallHD monitors. When the subject is in focus, you will see sharpening artifacts.

I've used this trick before ML, by shooting raw and having contrast and sharpness at maximum.

vtrandal

Quote from: a1ex on August 20, 2012, 12:57:15 PM
The sharpness increase looks very similar to the focus peaking used on SmallHD monitors. When the subject is in focus, you will see sharpening artifacts.

I've used this trick before ML, by shooting raw and having contrast and sharpness at maximum.

Thanks Alex.

Then does LiveView on, say, the 600D/T3i LCD qualify as a Small HD monitor? Because the camera is the only equipment I will have with me when shooting landscapes. And I'm not sure why shooting raw makes a difference. I'm not in a studio where I can compare things in the middle of a shoot if that's what you mean.

Francis

I don't believe that the Max sharp/Contrast setting is working with 5x/10x zoom. It does not have the same appearance as when maxing out the picture style settings or using the general Liveview setting. Can anyone else try and confirm? This is with 5d2. Haven't tried on the 550d yet.

a1ex

On 5d2 I'm using it daily, and worked without any glitch (took thousands of pictures with it).

When you trigger 5x/10x zoom with the Zoom In button, press shutter halfway to restore normal settings (and release it to go back to high sharpness).

When you trigger the 5x/10x zoom with half-shutter, it will use high sharpness mode.

If your lens is very soft, you will probably not notice sharpening artifacts (noticed this with my 135mm lens at f/22).

vtrandal

Quote from: a1ex on August 21, 2012, 09:36:19 AM
On 5d2 I'm using it daily, and worked without any glitch (took thousands of pictures with it).

When you trigger 5x/10x zoom with the Zoom In button, press shutter halfway to restore normal settings (and release it to go back to high sharpness).

When you trigger the 5x/10x zoom with half-shutter, it will use high sharpness mode.

If your lens is very soft, you will probably not notice sharpening artifacts (noticed this with my 135mm lens at f/22).

I have a new 600D/T3i with the 18-55mm kit lens. I don't know if that's a soft lens or not.

That's nice that it works for you Alex, but I don't seem to have the trained eye that you or anyone else might have to see this. I need it red like in Focus Peak(ing).

a1ex

Do you see the image becoming less contrasty when you hold the shutter halfway in 10x mode?

Maybe it's not working on 600D?!

1%

It seems like its working. Gets brighter+less contrasty when I hold half shutter in 10x (moved focus ring). I also see more dots of noise dancing around edges. Its not focus peaking but its something.

Quote18-55mm kit lens

I'm not a fan of this thing except at 18mm (I buy too many zooms). The manual focus isn't great on it either. Maybe they improved something on the IS or later version?

vtrandal

Quote from: a1ex on August 21, 2012, 04:29:41 PM
Do you see the image becoming less contrasty when you hold the shutter halfway in 10x mode?

Maybe it's not working on 600D?!

Alex, I will test it on my 600D/T3i as how you describe above. But don't you mean the image becoming more contrasty when you hold the shutter halfway in x10 zoom? To me that is what "Increase SharpContrast" and "Zoom on HalfShutter" in the Prefs menu means.

1%, do you also have a 600D/T3i to test it on? Maybe we could compare results.

vtrandal

Quote from: 1% on August 21, 2012, 05:13:05 PM
Its not focus peaking but its something.

OK. I hope I can wrap things up with regard to testing "Increase SharpContrast" and "LV contrast" on my 600D/T3i.

In neither case do I see a substantial change in contrast around edges or anywhere. If Focus Peak is enabled in red, I see blinking red dots on and around focused subjects when in Magic Lantern LiveView. And in x10 zoom the red dots go away.

I understand that while in x10 zoom and adjusting manual focus, one can say a focused subject has high contrast. I cannot argue with this, but when I am out shooting landscapes in adverse lighting conditions I would like to have the visual aid that blinking colored dots provide as in the Focus Peak feature.

markanini

I've settled on the following settings for MF

Max sharpness in picture style
Increase SharpContrast: ON
LV DIGIC peaking: Slightly sharper or Edge image

A cool fact to know is that Canon DSLRs can adapt OM and K and M42 mount lenses that Nikon bodies can't without losing infinity focus.
Gear: Canon 600D & Magic Lantern Nightly.