Can't make RAW movies with 60D @60fps

Started by Bambix, June 24, 2016, 03:12:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bambix

Hello everyone.

I tried to shoot RAW movies @ 60fps with my 60D to make great looking slow motions (60fps>24fps=40% of normal speed).
I tried several options, just to be sure that the rate displayed on the bottom of the screen matches my card's speed.

My card is a SDXC class 10 @ 80mb/s, but the filming ALWAYS stops.

Here's how it happens.

- I first enable the raw_rec module.
Then I enable RAW video and try shooting at 1728x442 with a ratio of 2.35:1. (says it requiers 70mb/s speed)
After exactly 5sec of shooting (@~15mb/s as displayed under ther red rec icon), the camera stops and says "movie recording stopped automagically". Each time.
The 5sec movie isn't even on the SD card afterwards.

- Then, I enabled the mlv_rec module and try shooting at 1600x408 with a ratio of 2.35:1. ((says it requiers 65mb/s speed)
After exactly 7 seconds of shooting (@~15mb/s as displayed under ther red rec icon), the camera stops and says "Frame skipped. Stopping". Each time.
The 7sec movie displays if I ask the camera to.

I can live with 1 frame skipped, so I enabled the frame skipping option, but after 7 min rec, it's dozens of frame that drop...

At this point, I'm clueless, and I was wondering if there could be any known workaround for this particular issue...

Sorry for my english and thanks for reading :)

Flocksock

Have a look here:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6215.0

The 60D Camera can only write at 21mb/sec.
If you card has 80mb/sec.. it doesn't matter.
21mb is maximum because of the Canon 60D Camera.

You can only shoot 20 seconds in 720p (i think, with the 60D)
better option is to buy a Canon 50D oder 7D
or go with Canon 5D amrk 2 or 3.