Convert analog camera into digital?

Started by dinobike, June 06, 2016, 02:58:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dinobike

I was reading about a proyect called PSEUDO, that is trying to convert any analog 35mm film camera into a digital one.
I thought, besides the challenge of doing it, it's a great idea if they can achieve their goal.

You can see more information in their website http://pseudofilmcanister.tumblr.com/

Just want to know what you think about it,....pros and cons?

Cheers!!

josepvm

They say they are planning to put an APS-C sized sensor on the device (a FF sensor is expensive), and you will have a camera with lenses designed for 35mm (so no short enough focal lengths available for wide angle views), and modern APS-C lenses probably will not fit in the camera mount.

So, I think is a lot easier to get a cheap second-hand APS-C DSLR instead. And much better if it is a 500D, 1100D, etc. This way you will be able to run Magic Lantern on it [emoji6]

eduperez

I would go as far as calling it a scam, but that is a term that has legal implications, and I do not want to be sued by those morons; thus, let's just say that the project is completely absurd, and he knows it. There is a ton of technical difficulties ahead, he has have given absolutely no hint on how he plans to address those issues, and yet he has already started a fundraising campaign (and a "flexible goal" campaign)... How is he going to fit a sensor there? How is he going to control the electronics from outside? How is he going to power all that?

Besides, what is the point of this project? How is it better than the cheapest DSLR you can buy? Who would want a camera that mixes the bad from the analog cameras with the worst from the digital cameras, and the advantages from none of them?

dinobike

Yeah, it might be scam or might be not, but i think that he is pointing to the "Nostalgia" feeling, to the weekend photographer, even if the camera couldn't give the better images or the technical difficulties inherent in old technology, i guess they would love to use their antique cameras with new technology in it...if the price is right...$150 or $200...who knows.
Anyway, i don't know if i would buy it either but consider the idea interesting.  ;)