Canon 80D

Started by ariznaf, June 02, 2016, 09:27:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

a1ex

Quote from: OlRivrRat on April 26, 2018, 06:36:47 PM
   My 80D no longer wants to Play with ML. Any SD card with a BootLoader

or Rescue autoexec on it will cause the 80d to go Dark > No signs of Life.

With "Normal" SD it works just fine.

With the rescue autoexec, you can test the card on any other model that already runs ML. The rescue binary is portable, it loads on any camera from DIGIC 2 all the way to DIGIC 7 (and also on DIGIC 8, to some extent), as long as its boot flag is enabled.

OlRivrRat

@Alex

Reloaded Port'Rescue on 2 Diff' SDs, 8GB & 16GB & Both work fine in SL1.

In 80D I am now getting just a Blue Screen. Which is more than what it was doing earlier.
ORR~DeanB  ~~  80D-ML  &  SL1+ML  &  5D2+ML  &  5DC+ML  &  70D+ML(AliveAgain)

a1ex

The blue screen may suggest the latest palette "fix" is incorrect. These cache issues are not deterministic, so if you try to start the camera a few times, it might work.

Can you try this one? autoexec.bin

There are 3 things to see here:

1) whether the display works (I hope so :D)
2) repeatability of colors, including last line (requires many test runs, 10 is fair, 50 would be great)
3) ROM layout (camera might lock up on this one)

If you can compile, please check whether changeset a289731 makes any difference regarding the first two points.

OlRivrRat

@ Alex

That"s Better > 1st try gave Blue Screen with Magenta Verbiage,

2nd & 3rd try gave >      https://ibb.co/eUkKeH

Seems incomplete, is that to be expected?

a1ex

Hm, it locked up.

Let's try again on a different start address (same link).

OlRivrRat

@ Alex

Getting Closer? >      https://ibb.co/eeZ9UH

sombree

@a1ex
I think there might be another reason for black screen when you try to dump ROM on the same sdcard for the second time - during first time canon's bootloader fills up sdcard with some random garbage. You can find it in catalog on the sdcard (it'll be present in "System Volume Information" if there isn't any other catalog).
I can confirm it for 80D and 760D.
It happens both with and without disable_caches_region1_ram_d6() in reboot.c. I doubt it has anything to do with palette issue.
Formatting card fixes problem but it appears again (as bootloader is filling up sdcard again).

Edit:
Interesting - on my 80D screen colors are always as they supposed to be. On 760D first time background was blue instead of black but all next times - black  ???

a1ex

Screen colors have nothing to do with card contents.

sombree

I know. I was just saying that ROM dumper doesn't boot when card is filled up with previously generated random garbage. I was jus thinking that this was cause of OlRivrRat's black screen.

OlRivrRat

I have to admit that I am a bit concerned about My 80D. Just 3Weeks ago I was able to

get an SFDATA Dump from it & back in Dec I was able to get a ROM Dump from it & now it

will not accomplish Either. It won't even complete the Portable Rescue. Anybody have any

ideas as to what might have caused this or how to get it back on track. It seems to function

just fine otherwise.

sombree

@a1ex
On your autoexec.bin I don't have these warnings about inconsistency.
Last commit 7eaab92:

a1ex

That happens if it managed to read two different values from the same memory address (probably not unusual if there's no memory chip connected there, and probably not a deterministic behavior either).

There is some code commented out, if you want to explore further. I still wonder why the bootloader configures a memory region starting at 0xEE000000.

OlRivrRat

@ Alex

Is there a way to Uninstall/Reset the BootFlag on the 80D so as to try a Reinstall?

a1ex

Your boot flag values are correct, there's nothing to adjust there.

What is very important for the ROM dumper is to use a tiny filesystem (such as the 256MB image that comes with QEMU); see the first post on the portable ROM dumper thread. That appears to be a limitation in Canon code (bootloader file I/O routines don't handle large filesystems well). By not using a tiny filesystem, side effects can be either what sombree described earlier, or nothing obviously wrong if lucky, or not working at all if unlucky.

Also updated the portable ROM dumper autoexec on the latest codebase, just in case.

OlRivrRat

Created a 256MB Partition on My 1GB SD that has worked as a 1GB SD in the past,

loaded todays ROM Dumper & only get a Few LED Flashes @ StartUp then Nothing.

a1ex

Does the same card work in another camera?

Can anyone else confirm the latest dumper is actually working on 80D? I've tested it in QEMU and could not see anything wrong with it.

Chellyandruu

its working on mine.

OlRivrRat

The 256MB Partition won't Boot in either 80D or SL1 > It acts like a normal SD Card. The Latest ROM Dumper when placed on My 1GB SD locks up

@ Dumping ROM1 on 80D & Dumping ROM0 on SL1. Pretty Sure this is the SD that got Me ROM Dumps in Dec from the 80D.

sombree

@OlRivrRat
Did you make your card bootable after shrinking partition?

OlRivrRat

@ Sombree

Yes ~

sombree

How? What program did you use?

OlRivrRat

@ Sombree

Same 1 I Always Use > MacBoot ~

Walter Schulz

Quote from: OlRivrRat on April 29, 2018, 07:39:45 PM
                     @ Sombree

Same 1 I Always Use > MacBoot ~

You can check by copying portable display test autoexec.bin to card and inserting it into another cam with bootflag set.

OlRivrRat

portable display test autoexec.bin works just fine on SL1 but on 80D produces this >

https://ibb.co/eeZ9UH

This is on a 1GB SD > The Smallest I Have. If I try to Partition to 256mb then won't work in Either Cam'.

arajasek

Hello Team, I am very new to this forum, I have an 80D and a little bit of programming experience and I am willing to help.
can someone please share a link on how to get started please? what do I need ?thanks.