Canon 5D Mark IV

Started by SiSS, August 11, 2016, 11:11:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

names_are_hard

Quote from: madzharov on December 10, 2022, 11:54:33 AM
I have a question guys, do you still work on the MK IV, how is it going?

There are no current devs who own a 5D4 and nobody is working on it.  The cause of the current show stopping bug is unknown and hard to diagnose without access to a physical cam.  Once it is resolved progress to the same level as the early 200D port could be fast enough, progress beyond that will be slower.

There will be no progress on 5D4 until we get the combination of dev + cam.

madzharov

I see. Thank you for the respond, if there is something new going on please write, it's so interesting to me.
Thank you all guys who made Magic Lantern happen, it's really a magic. If it's meant there will be a release for the 5D IV, if not thank you for trying. I really appreciate your work, you are awesome.
Thank you all of you, wish you happy holidays and i hope this year to be better than the previous for all of you!

6D

Quote from: names_are_hard on June 19, 2022, 07:20:44 PM
Hi - somehow I missed this message.  If you're still interested, we have a testable build (with very limited features) for 5D4, but it crashes early on.  Probably, you will want to get UART access to your cam (not hard for this model) in order to debug.  No active devs have access to a 5D4 with UART.

It should look like this, under the thumb grip:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7531.msg224730#msg224730

Some cams have the socket soldered, some don't.  We have Gerber files for ordering a flexible PCB to connect to the socket.  We know the socket part if yours doesn't have it and you want to add it.  Otherwise, you can use whatever probes work for you to contact the right pin.  You only need one pin connected to get debug output.

I have a 5D4 also and would be interested in helping. What exactly is the issue and what do you need? Would be happy to meet up with a dev if there is one in my area (NC) and they can promise not to brick it  :P

Sad to see how slow development has gotten on ML, I loved this software on my t3i and my 6D.

names_are_hard

We don't know the exact issue.  We know it crashes during early boot.  We don't have good logs.  If you're happy messing about with a serial port and working out how to connect it as described in my prior post, I can talk you through the details.

There are approximately three devs.  I don't believe any are in NC :)

names_are_hard

I now have a 5D4.

I also have this:

No real features, but shutter count works:

Bruno Italiano

vastunghia

OMG I need to rush buying a 2nd hand 5D4 before the news hits the market :D
5D3 for video
70D for photo

kitor

Quote from: vastunghia on April 24, 2023, 01:28:52 PM
OMG I need to rush buying a 2nd hand 5D4 before the news hits the market :D

Let me remind you that this is just menus. When we will have RAW video, you'll be able to buy 2 of them for todays price.
Too many Canon cameras.
If you have a dead R, RP, 250D mainboard (e.g. after camera repair) and want to donate for experiments, I'll cover shipping costs.

vastunghia

5D3 for video
70D for photo

whitelight

Bruno Italiano

Would the CF card write speed be any better?
Some CF cards can reach write speeds of up to 155MB/s?

names_are_hard

I don't know, it's not stable enough to run benchmarks.

raadek1990

Great that it worked. :D
Is there any chance that eye tracking will be available in a later version?

kitor

Too many Canon cameras.
If you have a dead R, RP, 250D mainboard (e.g. after camera repair) and want to donate for experiments, I'll cover shipping costs.

dtr

Quote from: kitor on April 24, 2023, 02:05:24 PM
Let me remind you that this is just menus. When we will have RAW video, you'll be able to buy 2 of them for todays price.

I would be pretty ecstatic to get just the core photography features like bracketing. I would instantly buy one that day, but until then sticking with mk3.

Bazzer69

The 5d mark iv has bracketing along with exposure compensation. I would like to see zebra's instead of the patches for overexposure, focusing could be improved but I guess the major upgrade would be to reduce the 4k file sizes
I have a mark iv and love it. It already has so many features I carry the user guide with me wherever I go.
The latest Lightroom upgrade is amazing at virtually eliminating noise at every iso setting as well as increasing sharpness. Amazing!

dtr

Quote from: Bazzer69 on May 18, 2023, 06:34:34 AM
The 5d mark iv has bracketing along with exposure compensation.

A pretty unusable implementation all the way back from 1989, then yes.

miatch

Canon dumping the 5 series may be our best bet yet. They did not approve of hack prior. Maybe this will make ML crew feel more comfortable!
Just bought a 5D4 while 5D3 was in shop, after 10 yrs. of use.
keep at it, i would love to donate a body someday, kudos.

Walter Schulz

No idea where you got the "not comfortable with 5D4" bit. Totally missing the point.