Canon 80D

Started by ariznaf, June 02, 2016, 09:27:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ariznaf

I have bought a Canon 80D right a few days ago.

I know it is to early to expect a magic lantern port for it, as probably no developer has one.

But hope is a human trait.

Is 80D hardware similar enough to 70D or 7DII in order to expect the port not being too difficult or lengthy?

I have read that the first thing developers need is a firmware image.

Is there a waty to obtain it?
Do we need to wait until a firmware update from Canon?

Walter Schulz

Don't bother about firmware image.
Bother about DiGiC 6 featured. This will be the first ML port involving DiGiC 6.
This port will get as difficult and lengthy as you can imagine. It's a beastly task.

violajsilver

The EOS 80D boasts a viewfinder coverage of approx. 100%. The newly-developed 45-point, all cross-type AF sensor and continuous shooting speed of up to 7.0fps makes it an excellent choice for capturing moving subjects. Movie shooting at a quality of up to Full HD 60p is also supported, and Dual Pixel CMOS AF, which makes it possible to achieve high speed AF during Live View shooting, has been enhanced to be compatible for use with all EF lenses. Remote shooting and image sharing with smart devices is also made simple as the camera supports Wi-Fi and NFC.

ariznaf

Sorry to era that.

I would loke to teste ml for ten first time.
I was lookong for it in the 40d bit it dic note arribe.

Bit 7d ii has a digic 6 proceso top and ml is on the way...

a1ex

Current status:

Quote from: a1ex on June 18, 2016, 12:36:09 AM
My attempts to jump to Canon firmware failed on both 760D and 80D.

source

Also tried to:
- identify the main firmware start address from the string "/_term" (tested on 7D2 in QEMU and on 60D; should work on all DIGIC 4/5 models)
- jump to 0xFFFF0000 (hivecs reset interrupt, tested on 60D, probably works on all DIGIC 4/5 models)
- jump to MEM(0xFC000000) (reset address for EOS M3 and M10)

All attempts resulted in black screen and camera locked up.

Then, from 7D2 thread:
Quote from: atonal on June 18, 2016, 09:41:36 AM
The LED blinks!

That means, our current options are:

Quote from: a1ex on June 15, 2016, 07:49:45 PM
I need some help from somebody willing to do a small hardware mod (details). The FIR from the linked post won't work here, but I can prepare one for 760D (or any other DIGIC 6 camera) on request.

Quote from: a1ex on June 19, 2016, 08:57:33 PM
Meanwhile, I've found the LED address on 7D2. It's unlikely to be the same address on other DIGIC 6 cameras, but it's likely to be in the same range. Therefore, we could try to poke a few addresses nearby [1] [2].

The second one is easier, so I'm looking for a volunteer to try it.

zloe

Volunteer found, but I need some assistance. It would take me some time to prepare the fir file myself.

- zlo
EOS 6D, EOS 650D both with ML, EOS 80D (no ML, ... yet)

dinissilva

Hey,

I don't know much about coding!! But i own a Canon 80D, and you have my support any time!!

Dinis Silva

dinissilva

I have tested the LED Adress on Canon 80D and...BLINKS!!

a1ex

8)

Quote from: a1ex on June 20, 2016, 03:02:00 PM
The LED address is somewhere between 0xd20b0800 and 0xd20b1000 (source) (credits 1) (credits 2).

Looks like we no longer need the power supply hack :)

Next steps: http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Obtaining_a_firmware_dump#Hardware-software_solution

Please let me know once you have the hardware ready.

dinissilva

I can try! But I gonna need some help!  :-X

zloe

Ok, photo transistor connected to Audacity, ready to record.
Just need to attach it a bit better to the cam.
EOS 6D, EOS 650D both with ML, EOS 80D (no ML, ... yet)

can-on

Hi

An important question is do you think will be the 80d in 4k video ??
or what is theoretically expected resolution?

thx

Walter Schulz

4k video is totally out of the question. Won't happen but for very, very short shots.
No ML enabled cam is able to do 4k continuous and it won't change for 80D, 7D2, 750D/760D.
SD-card interface is in the 100 MByte/s area and will therefore not outperform 5D3.

can-on

ok thanks for the quick response.
Now can 80D,  MOV: 1920 x 1080p / 29.97 fps (90 Mbps) / 23.98 fps (90 Mbps)
                        MP4: 1920 x 1080p / 59.94 fps (60 Mbps) / 29.97 fps (30 Mbps)

what to expect, ML development ? 2,5K RAW Video ?

thx

Walter Schulz

You can expect ML for 80D ready when it's ready.

Welles

I would say 2,5K is very unlikely, especially in continuous recording. Do you have an idea of the SD card writing speed?

To get an idea of what is already possible with older DiGiCs, have a look at http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6215.msg46857#msg46857
100D.100B / EF-S 10-18mm IS STM / EF-S 18-55mm IS STM / EF-S 55-250 mm IS II / EF 40mm STM

DenW

Hi,

I also own the Canon 80D and am available for testing.
Please contact me via PM if interested.

Thanks!
DenW

KelvinK

Quote from: zloe on June 21, 2016, 07:56:25 PM
Ok, photo transistor connected to Audacity, ready to record.
Just need to attach it a bit better to the cam.

Any news? All are waiting :)
6D - 5D - NEX - M50!

ariznaf

Great news to find you have been started working on the 80d.

I have not enough expertise in low level programming or electronics to help at this stage, but will try to help in testing as soon as an installable version is available.

I' ll keep an eye in your progress.
Thank you for your efforts

yacenty

I have both 760d and 7d2
I can help

OldMikeyJ

I've recently purchased an 80d and am willing to help in any way I can (mainly just testing a build). Please send me a msg if I can be of any assistance.

a1ex

mfituri

Hey, I have an 80D and would love to help. I know a thing or two about low level programming too.

ccs86

Exciting stuff!    :o 8)

dinissilva

In deed guys let's give the developers some LOVE!! For the great work!!