SKI THE WESTCOAST | MLV - Canon 600d

Started by _OLLE_, May 28, 2016, 12:45:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_OLLE_

Really slushy skiing from the place where I live and a little ski resort called Ulricehamn. When the snow finally came, me and my buddy took with us some lights and our homemade rails and tried to ski as creative as possible. Around two months later we were at a little ski resort called Ulricehamn. The weather was totally sunny with 100% slush in the slope but it was a super fun day!

https://www.instagram.com/_olleolsson_/

Gear:
Canon EOS 600D
Glidecam HD 2000
Tripod

Camera settings:
Magic Lantern RAW (MLV)
1600x408, 2:35.1, 24fps and H.264, 720p, 60fps

Workflow:
RAW → raw2cdng → cdng → After Effects (converted the footage to Log with Cinelog-C ) → export to (Apple ProRes 442 HQ) → Import to Premiere Pro ( edit and grading)→ export to (Apple ProRes 442 HQ) → Youtube

DeafEyeJedi

Nice. Surprised to see snow around this time of the year. So jealous!

Did you apply a LUT in PP on top of Cinelog-C?

If not, how exactly did you color grade because it still looks a little flat but maybe that was intentional however the dynamic range is quite impressive especially coming from a 600D. The last shot at the end was really nice with DR.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

_OLLE_

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on May 28, 2016, 06:36:40 PM
Nice. Surprised to see snow around this of the year. So jealous!

Did you apply a LUT in PP on top of Cinelog-C?

If not, how exactly did you color grade because it still looks a little flat but maybe that was intentional however the dynamic range is quite impressive especially coming from 600D. The last shot at the end was really nice with DR.

Thx @DeafEyeJedi. I mostly used a free rec709 lut from IWLTBAP called 8700. I took down the intensity to around 25-40 (now the footage looks way to flat) then I pushed the contrast really high 75-150

I'm really new in color grading so I just do what I think looks good hehe;D If you want to give me advice, you are welcome!

DeafEyeJedi

Sure send the original MLV of that last shot with the nice DR. I'll try and see what I can get out of.

_OLLE_

DeafEyeJedi

I try to keep things as simple as possible.
According to @Andy600 ... Cinelog-C has it's own algorithm that supposedly helps with SkinTones for the most part. I've shot a completely pale skin model whom flew in from Sweden and Cinelog-C's REC709_FM saved the day. Vibrant colors surround on set in footage with her skin looking normal.

Anyway for you I'd do this workflow.

RAW (Raw2CDNG) > AE (Cinelog-C plus Rec709FM Lut on top) export as ProRes422HQ (preferably ProRes4444XQ) since it holds more details in colors > then do your final edits in PP (no need to color grade further) unless you want to experiment but with Cinelog-C it still looks pretty good IMO.

AE workflow (w SmartImport2)
https://vimeo.com/170052021

Here's another workflow that you can do on OS X -- Cinelog-C (flat log applied in AE) imported into FCPX for more in depth color grading by selecting different LUTS to give you an idea of how much flexibility Cinelog-C flat log as a starting point gives you (but takes up more time obviously) as you will see below.
https://vimeo.com/170052584

Also be sure you are using the latest from Cinelog-C ... Version 3 is the recent one out I believe.

P.S. If I were you I'd check out @dmilligan's MLVFS (Windows version) as I think it'll be worth for you to play with (and help report bugs) if space is a concern for you. It not only saves space and saves time as well. Also @AWPStar's MLVProducer is another worth checking out.

Once you finally get onto the Mac boat ... then please check out @Danne's MLP as well as @dmilligan's MLVFS as they both run beautifully on OS X.

_OLLE_

Thanks a lot and good work @DeafEyeJedi. I going to star use MLVFS on my macbook now!