Started by beauchampy, May 27, 2016, 10:14:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beauchampy

Canon 5d3, adapted Leica Summilux E55 50mm f1.4
Magic Lantern RAW @ 37fps.

Canon Menu 30p
FPS override 37fps
Conformed to 23.976
Gets you about 9 seconds of Raw without any stretching.

kgv5

Nice! What card did you use?
With sandisk extreme pro 160mb/s, sound off, global draw off and 2,35:1 aspect ratio i can record 20 seconds of 37fps (5d3, 1.1.3). 9 seconds is with 2:1 aspect ratio.
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

beauchampy

Quote from: kgv5 on May 27, 2016, 10:58:08 PM
Nice! What card did you use?
With sandisk extreme pro 160mb/s, sound off, global draw off and 2,35:1 aspect ratio i can record 20 seconds of 37fps (5d3, 1.1.3). 9 seconds is with 2:1 aspect ratio.

Interesting.. I use a KB 128gb 1066x, but I have GD on and I also use the HDMI (I kinda shoot from the hip, monitor facing up, medium format style).. I'm on the latest 1.1.3 I'll have to experiment with turning off GD.

DeafEyeJedi

That glass is rather interesting and I loved how the colors are produced from it than the standard look from the Canon glass (not that I do mind) but it definitely gives that different taste/feel to it. Mimics the Film look without applying any Post work. Which is great, right?  :)

Nice work, Paul and Thanks for sharing. I also enjoy using FPS override from 30p and you should try crop-mode which would then may be able to push it up to 45p if I remember correctly. You may already be aware of this anyway and works best with a wide angle lens obviously.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

markodarko

Really nice.

I've been thinking this for a while that it's funny how slightly over-cranked footage looks "normal" speed to my eyes now and straight 23.976 looks almost too jarring - too "documentary" almost. It gives it a nicer look IMO when it's slightly over-cranked I think, but not so slow that it doesn't look real - if that makes sense?

@DeafEyeJedi I'm sure there must be some post color work on that footage. Surely. Perhaps Mr. @beauchampy can shed some light on his color settings? :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beauchampy

Quote from: markodarko on May 30, 2016, 02:59:27 AM
Really nice.

I've been thinking this for a while that it's funny how slightly over-cranked footage looks "normal" speed to my eyes now and straight 23.976 looks almost too jarring - too "documentary" almost. It gives it a nicer look IMO when it's slightly over-cranked I think, but not so slow that it doesn't look real - if that makes sense?

@DeafEyeJedi I'm sure there must be some post color work on that footage. Surely. Perhaps Mr. @beauchampy can shed some light on his color settings? :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funny you say that, I'm not too sure how I feel about 37fps.. It doesn't feel all that different to 24p. I think I might rather just lose a bit of vertical resolution and shoot 50/60p.

I also cranked the shutter a bit too high in some of these shots.

Colour is Film Convert. FJ Velv 100 with a little tweak here and there.

cmccullum

For my own sanity here.. When you say the footage is "confirmed" to 24 frames.. Is it slowed down, or no? I can't tell and it's driving me insane

beauchampy

Quote from: cmccullum on May 30, 2016, 11:17:30 PM
For my own sanity here.. When you say the footage is "confirmed" to 24 frames.. Is it slowed down, or no? I can't tell and it's driving me insane

Conformed. Shot at 37fps and it's playing back at 23.976, ie it's been slowed down.

cmccullum

Ok that's what I thought, but wasn't sure if that's what was meant, or if it was shot at 37, and placed in a 24 frame timeline (by the way, how does THAT work? Skipping frames, or what?)