Fast CF Card not writing the speed it should?

Started by matt6g, May 27, 2016, 06:27:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matt6g

Hey guys,

First time posting here - I'm new to the whole ML thing. 
I'm recording Raw Video with my 5D Mk. III but it doesn't let me record video that utilizes the speed of my card.
Let me explain...my card is rated at 150 mb/s, and was recommended to be used to record Raw Vid (SanDisk Extreme Pro, UDMA 7, 1000x)
But when I try to up the resolution in the video settings (higher than 1080p) it craps out and only records a couple seconds.
Right now I'm stuck at recording at 1920x1038 (1.85:1) - which is great, don't get me wrong, but I just want to make sure that I'm using that card to its full potential.
If I go up to 1080p (16:9) the camcorder icon turns yellow, then red, then stops because of frame skipping.
Should I be getting a faster card or am I missing a setting or something?
Recording 4k Raw would be radical, or even anything higher than 1080p for that matter.
Please, someone, let me know! Thank you in advance. 

Flocksock

Just try another card. Buy a faster card. 1066x .. 160 MB write speed, or more.
Even if the card says "150 mb, or 160 ... sometimes you will only get 80 or 90. So
but simple buy the fastest card you can get.

Check out this sheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16cgnRivbUv7nA9PUlCLmLdir3gXdIN3pqzCNAAybepc/edit#gid=5

So... i think you need a faster card. the 5D Mark III should handle Full HD 16:9.

DeafEyeJedi

@matt6g -- Were you able to make sure the card was formatted into exFAT in the first place?

If so, then perhaps trying to do a benchmark to verify the card itself as well in your camera via ML.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Walter Schulz

- 5D3.113 is considered to be a better performer. Only by a small/tiny amount but it may be worth a try. You have to downgrade to Canon firmware 1.1.3, of course.
- Load RAW recording module only.
- Disable Global Draw.
- Try splitting. Use SD-card for starting ML and CF-card for recording only.

HondaATC

I have the same card also and have been only able to get continuous recording of 1080p at 24fps. At 30 I get about 13 seconds. Despite the advertised speeds (and costs...) It looks like the  komputerbay cards are better in this regard

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

creativejeremyg

Has anyone tried the Sandisk Extreme Pro SDXC II cards with 250MB/s write speed? Far better than CF cards, is it possible to use SD card slot and not CF slot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Walter Schulz

At time of writing no Canon DSLR contains UHS-II interface. UHS-II cards will use their UHS-I mode.
Some SanDisk UHS-II cards in UHS-I mode do have write benchmark numbers below 50 MByte/s.

And limiting factor in Canon's DSLRs is SD-card interface and there is nothing you can do about it.
5D3, 600D, 550D, 500D, 60D, 1100D: About 21 MByte/s writing.
650D, 700D, 70D, 6D EOS M: About 41 MByte/s writing

There are some benchmarks indicating 750D/760D, 80D and 7D2 are able to do > 70 MByte/s but there is no ML for those cams yet.