Raw and crop mode

Started by capitanazop, April 08, 2016, 05:36:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

capitanazop

Hi guys, i got some question about raw recording in 600d and 700d.

I see en the raw capabilities table that you can record on a higher resolution if you shot as crop mode, but wen i tried it myself in my 600d activating the crop mode in canon menu, i cant record on a higher resolution than 960x480.
on 700d i activate on the magic lantern menu and i get the same problem.
i have searched on the forum but i got found nothing :/

someone can post step by step to get higher resolution with crop mode? i would aprreciate so much that!
and if someone got an article or post like "the best settings for raw recording on 600d or 700d" it would be nice too!

laidman

Hi capitanazop

I've only just started playing around on a 600D myself, but this is what I can tell you so far...

Keep the Canon menu video settings at 1080p30. You can still shoot 24/25/30 fps by changing the frame rate in the Magic Lantern menu.

The highest raw option I have is 17xx by xxx. I don't have the camera with me right now, so I'm not sure of the exact numbers. Going into the 3x crop mode (enabled in the Canon menu settings and then applied in Magic Lantern by pressing the DISP button up top and the Zoom+ button) gave me a slight bump...Still 17xx pixels wide. It was only 30 or 40 more, as I recall - the next bump up in the resolution settings. I'm sure the Excel table floating around on here with all the cameras and their raw capabilities showed something higher, though. Oh well.

Under the raw video subheading in the ML menus, press 'Q' to enter the detailed menu and select your resolution. You're saying ti's limited to 960x480 there? That would be strange, as mine lists even the resolutions I can't record for more than 1.5 seconds.

D_Odell

Hi,

Trying the same but with 5D3 and is currently filming with 24p @ 2240 × 1260 which works beautifully. Canon software is set to 1920 24p. But, the recorded Raw file keeps being 30fps. Even when through ML menu choosing 24p, any ideas to have it @ 24p?

Thanks!
5D3 [size=6pt](OLPF removed)[/size] :: 1.1.3 :: Canon FD L Serie

Walter Schulz

Crop mode uses liveview "refresh rate" which is 30 fps by default. Use FPS override.
Should not be that difficult to find that info using search function ...

D_Odell

Seems I was mistaken, it's AE that reads the dng sequence as 30. MLrawviewer reads it correctly as 24p.

Walter Schulz

You recorded crop mode without FPS override and got 24 fps?

D_Odell

No of course FPS override is at 24..