Music Video : Holes in the Sky : Magic Lantern RAW 14 bit 5D Mark III

Started by wangtrirat, May 25, 2016, 10:51:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wangtrirat

Hello! Last month I have graded this magnificent footage from my junior student for Movie for music production subject. I endorse them to shoot in RAW on 5D MKIII.=
Footages were overexposed by some shots but It's okay for smooth highlight roll-off charactoristic of RAW.

Firstly, After I receive footage for proxy generation. Dewrap MLV with MLVRAWMystic then import to DavinCi Resolve and correct some color for editor to see some color.
Codec : ProRes422 Proxy @720p
Then Editor finished their work. XML from premiere to Davinci Resolve linked them with RAW DNG that I dewrap from MLV and begin to grade the shot.

I used BMD Film color space and gamma for starting point then add some random curve and LUT. Mostly will be Fujifilm D65 LUT came with Resolve and VisionColor ImpulZ FilmLook.
Then transfer back to Premiere with Round-trip with 50 frames handle and XML back to timeline.

On Presentation day we encoded with DCP to be projected in Cinema Room with Christie projector and Dolby DSS-200 Cinema player. Magnificent picture.

Here is what we got. I export at 2K for sharpness reserve and upscale at export at premiere to retain better bitarate than FullHD 1080 on youtube.

This film is experiment of some mid-tone and sharpness max to the limit. Some shot may not Beauty.

Shot on Canon 5D Mark III
Graded on Davinci Resolve
CinemaMaster RGB LED backlit display
DP, Colorist, Technician
Canon 5D Mark III
Sony A7s, Sony FS7

Mehmet Kozal

Canon 650D user. Also, Bilal Fakhouri is a hero.

markodarko

Says "this video is not available" for me. Is it restricted in the UK?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Walter Schulz

Same for Germany. Known problem here.
Use proxy in US (ProxTube add-on for Firefox or similiar for your browser) or something like HideMyAss.

axelcine

EOS RP, 5dIII.113/Batt.grip, 5dIII.123, 700d/Batt.Grip/VF4 viewfinder + a truckload of new and older Canon L, Sigma and Tamron glass

DeafEyeJedi

This is probably of the best short features shot on 5D3 in RAW. Not only it's colors were beautiful and with skin tones being spot on but your editing paces along with the story well. Even for a deaf person like me who just watched it without my cochlear implants on as it was enjoyable to watch in silence.

I'm pretty sure I'll watch again later on when I have my CI's turned on.

Thanks for sharing @wangtrirat!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

axelcine

@DeafEyeYedi - then you're in for a treat. The dedicated music is really good. A convincing and well-spun story. If this was a trailer for a long movie I'd definitely want to see it.
EOS RP, 5dIII.113/Batt.grip, 5dIII.123, 700d/Batt.Grip/VF4 viewfinder + a truckload of new and older Canon L, Sigma and Tamron glass

Nutsy

7D - 3D Artist and VFX/Motion Graphics Artist

favvomannen

markodarko

Quote from: Walter Schulz on May 26, 2016, 06:22:24 PM
Same for Germany. Known problem here.
Use proxy in US (ProxTube add-on for Firefox or similiar for your browser) or something like HideMyAss.

Ah, thanks for the tip, @Walter Schulz but for some reason I just revisited this thread and the video played just fine. Yey!  :D

Quote from: wangtrirat on May 25, 2016, 10:51:58 PM
Hello! Last month I have graded this magnificent footage from my junior student for Movie for music production subject.

@wangtrirat, this is beautifully graded. Really, really nice - even if it was with "random curves"  ;D May I ask why you did a round-trip back to Premiere from Resolve instead of rendering out the finished EDL from Resolve?

Really enjoyed this. Thank you for sharing. Looking forward to seeing more from yourself and your students!  :)

All the best,

Mark.

wangtrirat

Quote from: markodarko on May 29, 2016, 04:00:28 AM
Ah, thanks for the tip, @Walter Schulz but for some reason I just revisited this thread and the video played just fine. Yey!  :D

@wangtrirat, this is beautifully graded. Really, really nice - even if it was with "random curves"  ;D May I ask why you did a round-trip back to Premiere from Resolve instead of rendering out the finished EDL from Resolve?

Really enjoyed this. Thank you for sharing. Looking forward to seeing more from yourself and your students!  :)

All the best,

Mark.

Ah!!! Some misunderstanding because of my grammar.

I'm also senior student at my university. They are 2nd year and I'm 4th year. I did roundtrip because they need to do some composite in Premiere and After effect to overlay some flares and CGI tower in wide shot scene. It's more easy in NLE even though it will loss some information in color. But I exported in ProRes 4444 and XML to define handle and cut for each clips. So when import in premiere they will have 50 frames handle for editor to change cutting.
DP, Colorist, Technician
Canon 5D Mark III
Sony A7s, Sony FS7

DeafEyeJedi

Next time try ProRes4444XQ in order to keep most of the information in colors as well as shadows and highlights.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

wangtrirat

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on May 29, 2016, 07:30:10 AM
Next time try ProRes4444XQ in order to keep most of the information in colors as well as shadows and highlights.

Thank you!!!!! I will looking to using it. I'm now checking for disk space heehee!
DP, Colorist, Technician
Canon 5D Mark III
Sony A7s, Sony FS7

Danne