What lens do you use with cropped raw?

Started by Nutsy, May 21, 2016, 11:23:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nutsy

Not sure if this should be here or post processing, this kinda feels like the right place as its to do with filming in raw, but is a hardware topic rather than something to do with the software...

Admins feel free to move to the correct sub forum if this is the wrong place...

Anyway, When shooting with raw cropped on my 7d your loosing fov, so to compensate I've been using wider angle lenses... i particularly like my sigma 10-18, at 10mm...

But I wanted to know your opinions, and what you do?
7D - 3D Artist and VFX/Motion Graphics Artist

beauchampy

Quite like the 16-35 f4 IS on my 5d3. IS helps a lot and the lens is sharp as f.

Nutsy

Yeah super sharp lenses would be great... Though i must admit with my 10-18 it seems pretty damn god in my tests so far.

Even had a few tests where i wasnt really giving any consideration to lighting. While i had ISO noise the footage had a really good movie quality feel without any real post work. Maybe a little tweaking on the raw image processing but not a lot.

Im going to be making a few visual effects shots for a new demo reel soon. And i'm really looking forwarding to shooting 2-2.5 k :D (most likely 2.2k as i would like to be able to shoot near 20 seconds at a time.)

markodarko

I like using a 35mm on a 5Diii because that gives me the option of shooting at 35mm non-crop and 105mm when in crop mode. Different on the 7D obviously as you're already cropped by 1.6x relative to FF.

If I had a 7D then I'd personally use a 21mm lens to get the 35mm FF equivalent as I think the 35/105 combination is hard to beat for a single prime lens setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: markodarko on May 21, 2016, 06:26:58 PM
I like using a 35mm on a 5Diii because that gives me the option of shooting at 35mm non-crop and 105mm when in crop mode. Different on the 7D obviously as you're already cropped by 1.6x relative to FF.
Agreed. 35/105 is such a killer combo for the 5D3.

Also another fun lens to play with is the Nikon 105 2.5 PC which would give you a dreamy set of 105/315 focal lengths. Def would need sticks or at least a monopod. The bokeh's fabulous and you also achieve a nice contrast look/feel that this glass produce!

Quote from: markodarko on May 21, 2016, 06:26:58 PM
If I had a 7D then I'd personally use a 21mm lens to get the 35mm FF equivalent as I think the 35/105 combination is hard to beat for a single prime lens setup.
+1
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Nutsy

Sounds cool :D I need to spend more time investing in other lenses...

I was going to buy some 'M' Lenses with a eos mount converter (I've actually forgotten the name of the lenses :( ) But they were old manual prime and zoom lenses that were going for really cheap and apparently had great glass for filming with...

As a graphics guy I tend to work from eye, but just so I know whats the formula for working out your 35mm equivalent with a 7d, and in x5 cropped mode?

Even when just shooting photos i never learnt the equation which i probably should do as it would help with things like camera tracking :p

GutterPump

I use the Tokina 11 - 16mm F/2.8 with 5D mark III.

markodarko

Quote from: Nutsy on May 24, 2016, 12:51:09 PM
whats the formula for working out your 35mm equivalent with a 7d, and in x5 cropped mode?

35mm FF equivalent on a 7D is 1.6x bigger. So a 50mm lens on a 7D will give you an equivalent of 50x1.6=80mm.

If you're using the 5x crop mode then the difference will depend on the crop size you choose. It'll tell you in Magic Lantern next to the RAW image size what the multiplication factor is.