Development on Magic Lantern 650D focus pixels and my Selsey video.

Started by Mehmet Kozal, May 23, 2016, 03:25:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mehmet Kozal

[A well belated thank you and appreciation] Really exciting news for 650D, 700D and 100D owners.

I think another quite a revolution happened in Magic Lantern world. "Focus Pixels" phenomenon as 650D, 700D and 100D users know is a thing kind of in the past thanks to some awesome people who put a lot of effort and time.

If you need to catch up with this subject and follow the latest development http://magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=16054.0
Seriously, I am equally excited about this like I was when raw video been introduced first time on a 650D.

As I stated in the beginning, this is a personal opinion on this subject. So what all of this development means and how it will effect my work? Before this fix arrived, I was simply applying chroma smoothing to the mlvs and it was definitely working to a certain extent. But then it triggered other problems like this one http://magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=15808.msg153823#msg153823 . It was limiting my work because I wasn't able to use any clipped highlights or shadows in my compositions. So I used MLV only in daytime with extra care being sure nothing is clipping and the rest I used native H264 which was heartbreaking after the raw experience.

Well my point is, these are in the past now and since I film a lot of stage shows, I can switch to MLV raw without clipping shadows or highlights being a problem. Also IMO, even if I would have a 5D mark III, I would definitely get a 650D or a 700D as a B or C camera since they are cheap and has a lot potential now. To me it makes sense. Secondly, now chroma smoothing being unnecessary, I get real-time playback via MLVFS in Davinci Resolve and super fast rendering times. Seriously, I wasn't thinking doing any more investments on my camera but now I can't wait to order an 8mm lens [I did, got a Samyang 8mm and using it] to do some filming in crop mode.

I think these developments will affect many and encourage a lot of people to use these cameras in their video work.

I made this video using only crop mode on my 650D with Canon 50mm 1.8 II, Sigma 17-50 2.8 and Samyang 8mm 3.5 fish eye glass >

Sorry for my English and possible mistakes on the terminology and hopefully I didn't wasted your time. Finally I want to thank to everyone who involved in this project
[quoting from @dfort] which are;

Danne got me started on it when he was first developing MLP. I was just doing testing but he asked if there was anything that I wanted to work on and the "pink dot" issue was something that kept coming up. He uses dcraw in his program which has an option for removing bad pixels. We tried it on MLP and it worked great but only for my camera (EOSM) and for only for 1280x720 cropped mode. I wanted something that could be used for all "Hybrid CMOS AF" cameras and for all raw video modes and sizes. MLP is written in the bash shell which wasn't nearly as intimidating to me as C so it seemed like something that was within our abilities.

DeafEyeJedi provided lots of enthusiasm and allowed me to borrow his SL1/100D which turned out to have a different focus pixel pattern than the other cameras. He also got some very good 700D files from Nelson Sigmundo, a ML user from the Netherlands.

dmilligan started by giving a few pointers about the technical details of how MLV works and how to use Silent Still Pictures to capture the raw buffer. It took me a while to figure it out at first but once I got the hang of it and started reporting my results he really picked up on the project and incorporated focal pixel fixing in his MLVFS. He also fixed an issue with the camera not being reported properly in the MLV metadata. He is really driving Magic Lantern development forward.

a1ex explaiined some key technical details and steered the conversation in the right direction when we got off track. He also took care of a mlv_rec.mo bug that came up when the Crop numbers weren't lining up.

AWPStar generously shared his map files and code. He speaks another language, Russian and Microsoft Visual Basic, so it was difficult to understand what he was saying at times but he is quite a talented programer and gave us some very valuable comments.

Steve_FR discovered focus pixels that usually don't show up. Most of the map files from other developers included these pixels but since they didn't match up with what I was seeing until Steve was able to capture them.

Walter Schulz provided files from the 650D and made surprisingly few of his usual comments on the conversation.

otherman showed a method to display the Bayer pattern in color which proved that the focus pixels were red and blue. That was quite a revelation because I assumed they were green pixels--the sensor has twice as many green pixels as either red or blue.

Oswald did some 100D testing and confirmed that the 'B' firmware camera has the same sensor information as the 'A' firmware camera I was testing.
Canon 650D user. Also, Bilal Fakhouri is a hero.

Danne

canneloni

This looks awesome! Would you mind sharing your Workflow ?
100D.100B ; Canon 18-55 STM ; Canon 50 1,8 II ; Canon 75-300 4,0 - 5,6 III ; Sigma 17-50 2,8

DeafEyeJedi

Nice work @Mehmet Kozal and Thanks for sharing!

Your Samyang 8mm 3.5 looks sharper than this Opteka 6.5mm 3.5 that I own.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

favvomannen

i use mlvfs and still get problems with overexposed and underexposded clippin.
what is the revolutionary fix? is there a new update for 650d? if so plz link to it. i want it to work?

Mehmet Kozal

Thanks all of you for your nice comments. Means a lot guys.

@canneloni About the workflow; Shot everything using zebras as my main exposure tool, and I didn't go beyond 100 ISO.
First thing, I rendered everything via Davinci Resolve in Rec 709 just to look at all the footage and decide which ones I want to keep and which ones to get rid of.
Once I trashed the footage I didn't like, I created Cinelog masters via Smart Import 2 in After Effects for the rest.

Then I used OpenColorIO with Cinelog setup to convert the footage to Log-C and used one of the "Deluts" luts as a starting point. I used levels/curves and hue saturation with some blending modes until it looked good enough to me. To finish I added some sharpening too.

@DeafEyeJedi I'm happy with my Samyang. It's surprisingly sharp between F5.6 and F11. Too bad I can't attach filters on it and for this video I had to use it at F16 or something to not clip anything. So it definitely needed some extra sharpening and contrast. But it is great on around F8 for the price. No complaints.

@favvomannen You should be good to go if you are using one of the nightlies since early March and the latest version of MLVFS. I wrote the link above if you want to have a look. Also don't apply any chroma smoothing to the footage. http://magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=16054.0

I also currently upgraded to After Effects CC 2015 and want to experiment with "detail preserving upscale" to see how ML Raw will look in 2K or 4K upscaled.

ability to shoot 48 FPS in crop mode would be awesome :)
Canon 650D user. Also, Bilal Fakhouri is a hero.