I am new to magic lantern. Need an expert for some query. Please help.

Started by anwarflm, May 19, 2016, 08:35:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

anwarflm

Q1:Why can't I see the recorded raw file while connecting the camera with my computer using the data cable? Is it must to use a cf card reader to see the raw file? I am using Komputerbay 64gb 1066x cf card.

Q2: On the new ml nightly build there is 2 raw recording option. One with mlv and other is just raw. Which one should I use? I know I need to read articles here. I am doing it but I just can't wait to see the result of magic lantern. So please give me some suggestion.

Q3: What is exfat format? Should I do it with my cf card? Don't know how to do it though!

(Sorry for bad english)

ItsMeLenny

A1: You need to use a card reader.

A2: raw is old, mlv is new, test both and see which one gives you better results in terms of speed, they are both the same quality.

A3: exfat lets you have files bigger than 4GB. Fat32 has a limit of 4GB. You only need it if you are going to record files bigger than 4GB.

Walter Schulz

A1: Because Canon restricted file transfer to some file extensions. You can rename files with File Manager if you must use USB or use tools like gphoto2. Don't know how reliable this is and if it is possible to handle files > 4GB.
BTW: AFAIK file transfer will give you about 18 MByte/s -> About 1 hour transfer time ... Battery life? External power source available?
A decent cardreader will do that with about 110 MByte/s and up.

A2: You answered it.

A3: Google. For some cams it is essential to use it for RAW/MLV recording.

anwarflm

Thanks a lot guys! I am gonna purchase a usb 3.0 card reader and see what happens. I am so excited to get started with ml raw.