3D Assist

Started by clement, May 19, 2016, 12:56:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clement

Dear all,

Thanks for developing the magic ML! I do 3D (=stereoscopic) photography with a 3D camera (Fuji Finepix Real 3D W3). It has features allowing to take 3D pictures which don't actually require a 3D camera. My suggestion is to make them available through ML, thus allowing to create 3D pictures with an amazing DSLR quality.

Let me be more specific. The two features I have in mind are:

• Individual 3D shooting
  • Interval 3D shooting

The first is really helpful if you want to make 3D pictures of a distant subject. The idea is to take two pictures with a different angle to create a 3D picture. It is already possible to do it with the "Ghost Image" feature of ML. However, it's too slow to first take your first picture (e.g. left eye) go to the menu to get it as a ghost picture, and then align it to shoot your second picture with a slightly different angle (for the right eye). Speed is critical otherwise the two pictures may have too different lightening or scene conditions. My suggestion is thus to add a function which would immediately put the ghost picture after it's shot.
Of course, it's a rather trivial thing to combine the two pictures into a 3D format (MPO) in postprocessing.

The second feature is simply to set a timer between the two pictures. It's really useful if you take photos from a plane, and want to get 3D mountains!

A description of these features is also available in the manual (pp30-31) of the Fuji camera: http://www.fujifilm.com/support/3d/manuals/pdf/index/finepix_real3dw3_manual_01.pdf

I hope you'll consider adding this simple feature (at least the first one). I'll be happy to post my 3D DSLR pictures!
Best,
Clement.

EOS 100D.100C

clement

Hi,

The answer is already in ML...
1) you just need to set "auto-update" in the advanced option of Overlay/Ghost Image.
2) you just need to play with Shoot/intervalometer

I also found this blog post:
blog.miguelgrinberg.com/post/take-3d-pictures-with-your-canon-dslr-and-magic-lantern

Cheers,
Clement.
EOS 100D.100C