Sandisk Extreme Pro 64 GB cannot be read on Macbook Pro - T3i Recover Needed

Started by PaulHarwood856, May 17, 2016, 02:45:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulHarwood856

Hello everyone,

I have run into this problem a few times now.

I shot an event on a T3i and a 7D, and for some reason the Sandisk Extreme Pro 64 GB cannot be read by my Macbook Pro. It says: This disk you inserted was not readable by this computer, and gives me options to initialize, eject, or ignore.

I've tried a couple disk recovery options, but no luck recovering any files. I tried Stellar Phoenix and Disk Warrior.

I read online about using Terminal, but am a little confused so I thought not to try that yet.

This happened on the May 7th Nightly Build. I thought a couple cards did this before because of having to use Macboot with 64 GB cards and the stable version before adding nightly builds. Whenever I add a new nightly build, I choose replace files.

Maybe I was supposed to combine files? Maybe that is what is making my cards unreadable?

Anyway, if someone can offer any ideas on what I can do to recover these video files that would be great. They are H.264 1080p files.

And if I am doing something wrong with the installation of nightly builds, someone please let me know what I can do different.

I would really appreciate any help on this. Thanks.

- Paul Harwood

Walter Schulz

PaulHarwood856

Hey Walter,

Thank you for your response. I used the SD card reader in my Macbook Pro Late 2013 Model as well a a Transcend USB 3.0 reader (which has a Micro SD and CF card slot as well). I did recover files through a Wondershare Raw Recovery Program, but they had .DAT files and all the .MOV files had static sounds and no pictures. Have you heard of this before? I had the movie record restart option selected while filming the event, which recorded many .MOV files because of the record limit of 12 minutes. I tested the card beforehand with Blackmagic Disk Speed Test and there were good speeds. I'm not sure what happened, but I have had this problem before with SD cards and my T3i. I used a battery grip and third party lens, Tokina 11-16 f2.8 DX II. I read a bit on the website you linked, thank you for posting. Besides reading on the site, is there a card reader that you recommend? Maybe the Macbook Pro's SD card slot isn't up to par? Thanks for all your help.

- Paul Harwood

Dihelson

I don´t understand why you don´t use an USB cable for transfer your images to the computer. I never never detached my card from my camera in 5 years and I took photos and videos frequently.
Canon 5D Mark II, 700D, Panasonic Fz200 | Canon 24-70mm f2.8L | 17-40mm f4.0L | 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | 50mm f1.8 | Blackmagic, Avermedia 4K cards

PaulHarwood856

So how did you get Magic Lantern on your cards? You need a card reader in order to do that.

Walter Schulz

I'm not going into Dihelson's post.

Retry file recovery with tools like Photorec, Recuva (Windows only).
Never heard of "wondershare" before but it looks like it's pooling software from other sources. Smells fishy.
I would recommend to check for unwanted "payload".

Dihelson

Walter Schulz said:

"I'm not going into Dihelson's post."

I appreciate that !
Canon 5D Mark II, 700D, Panasonic Fz200 | Canon 24-70mm f2.8L | 17-40mm f4.0L | 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | 50mm f1.8 | Blackmagic, Avermedia 4K cards

dmilligan

Quote from: PaulHarwood856 on May 17, 2016, 05:31:24 AM
I had the movie record restart option selected while filming the event, ... I'm not sure what happened, but I have had this problem before with SD cards and my T3i.
Sounds like maybe the same problem as this: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=17247.0

PaulHarwood856

I apologize Dihelson for being rude. I was a bit frustrated with the problem I was having and must've taken it out on you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaulHarwood856

Hey Walter,

Thank you for your reply. I tried Photorec, but I didn't have any luck. I might've not used it correctly. However before using Photorec I used Wondershare which recovered the Mov files, log files, and Dat files like I stated before. I started to get worried the Sandisk 64 GB 95 MB/SEC SD card, which I bought from Used Marketplace via Amazon, was counterfeit. So I called Sandisk, and sent a photo and they confirmed it's authentic however it was part of their first model series, which is why the colors looked different. Since there is a Lifetime Warranty, Sandisk is sending me a new card once they receive mine. I will test this new card once received to pinpoint if the issue might be related to the movie restart option via Magic Lantern.

PaulHarwood856

Hey dmilligan,

I am in the process of receiving a new card, and if the same problem persists, I will follow the steps Alex posted in that forum post. Thank you for sending it to me so I could read.

- Paul Harwood

Dihelson

PaulHarwood856

Hey Dihelson.

Ok great, thanks for understanding. Much appreciated.

- Paul Harwood

rsmith02

I send back 3 64GB Sandisk Extreme cards as I encountered corruption with my 600D/T3i. When they sent me an upgrade Extreme Pro 95mb/s card and it still didn't work, I just gave up and don't use it in the camera anymore. I have had zero issues with the 32GB version and use two of them instead.

I was able to restore files with PhotoREC and chk-back I think.

PaulHarwood856

Hey rsmith02,

I really appreciate your reply. Did your cards get corrupted only with Movie Record Restart option enabled? And were you able to completely repair the MOV files using these programs? Thanks again.

rsmith02

Well, I always have the auto restart enabled as I do documentary work. Do you think that's the key variable?

I was able to salvage the video files with one program (I think chk-back, but don't totally remember as it's been a couple of years. I stopped using this card/camera combination for obvious reasons). Photorec worked well on photos but did not bring the videos back in a usable format.

PaulHarwood856

Hey rsmith02,

I'm not sure. I've had it happen with that mode enabled before as well. But I do have to say, they have all been on 64 gb cards! Sandisk is sending 2 32GB cards instead of one 64 GB. Thanks for the advice. Is Chk-back pc only? On a Mac here.

- Paul Harwood

rsmith02

Hi Paul,
It does appear this utility is Windows-only. http://trcdatarecovery.com/software-apps/chk-back

Good luck and if you figure anything more out please post again. It seems like we may both end up just using 32GB cards as a work-around. I'm not sure this issue is even Magic Lantern related.

rsmith02

For what it's worth, I bought a new Sony RX100IV and put in the same Sandisk 64GB card that my T3i hated. It works fine. I have had no issues in 4 years using 32GB Sandisk Extreme cards with the T3i.

PaulHarwood856

Hey rsmith02,

Sorry for the late response. Thanks for those last few comments. I've used the 32 GB Sandisk Extreme Pro SD Cards with the T3i and have had no problems. Question. Do you use a battery grip? Someone else on the forum had a corruption issue with a 64 GB card and was using a Meike battery grip. I'm using a Canon battery grip, so it's not third party related, but I'm wondering if that might be the issue. Which I would think it would help with heating the camera, but maybe not as far as 64 GB cards go. I also wonder if 128 GB cards work, if it's any card over 32 GB. I'd like to hear your thoughts on this. Thanks.

- Paul Harwood

rsmith02

I just saw this reply. In case anyone comes across this thread, I was not using a battery grip with the T3i. I only use Canon brand batteries.

I do not think this is heat related as one failure I had was after several minutes shooting a mix of photos and videos in frigid Maine in winter. I never tested 128gb cards and don't own any.