H.264 picture style HDR

Started by domasa, May 16, 2016, 12:26:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

domasa

Is it possible change Picture Style for every second frame (as HDR video)?

In post processing:
light and dark picture styles could be converted to file with 14bit depth.

dmilligan

You'll get far better results actually shifting an exposure parameter, like say ISO, which is already possible.

But if you'd like to prove me wrong, it should be pretty simple to shoot some raw video and apply a different picture style to every other frame, encode it to h264, and then process it somehow.

romainkedochim

Quote from: domasa on May 16, 2016, 12:26:43 AM
Is it possible change Picture Style for every second frame (as HDR video)?

In post processing:
light and dark picture styles could be converted to file with 14bit depth.

I'm not too sure where but I've seen a post on Magic Lantern explaining how they do almost exactly what you describe. You can also see some sample of their pseudo-HDR. Some stuff can look quite decent. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
5D MK2 - Lexar 800X 8GB

smirnov

I have a similar idea about pseudo-hdr feature using picture styles. I'm curious if it is possible to save the same frame two times but with different picture styles during h.264 recording.

To be more clear: raw frame -> a frame with a picture style that pushes shadows up -> the same frame with a picture style that pushes highlights down -> repeat for the rest of frames.

It sounds like a waste of time to implement this, but we actually could get some pretty decent dynamic range (especially in the shadows) using it.