Am I to stupid for focus stacking on a 50D ?

Started by waelti_de, July 27, 2012, 06:35:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waelti_de

Hello guys,
I have tried several descriptions to use focus stacking on a 50d, but it seems, that this is to difficult to me  :-[
Is there a step by step description how to set it up on a 50D ?
Descriptions on a 60D doesn´t work on a 50D.
Can anybody, who has a 50d, tell me, how to start it ?
If I push "Focus End Point" on the videos liveview appears again (at me too), but I can´t change the focus range and therefore the message is always "will take 0 pictures"

Firmware 1.09
ML 2.3

Kind regards
walter

picareto

My problems with stacking focus on the 50D is that i receive a message on the display:"Please switch to photo mode" .... :(

Marsu42

Quote from: waelti_de on July 27, 2012, 06:35:01 PM
Descriptions on a 60D doesn´t work on a 50D. If I push "Focus End Point" on the videos liveview appears again (at me too), but I can´t change the focus range and therefore the message is always "will take 0 pictures"

There are many outdated descriptions, you must not push "Focus End Point", this resets the range. Just follow these steps (well, on 60d at least, but it's a unified build after all): 1. enable follow focus, 2. go in to lv, 3. zoom to start point (any way, manually is also ok), 4. zoom to end point with arrow keys, 5. go to ml menu & start rack focus or stack focus.

siam

for picareto:

to avoid this message:

IMPORTANT !!! - go to ML meny "Movie" folder and set "Movie record : DISABLED".
set "Live view" mode.
go to ""focus" folder, set startinf focusing point first, pres "Set",  than go to ""Focus End Point" option and manualy set end focus point.
for starting stack focus session press "play" button.
wait for end of series.
enjoy....

Marsu42

Quote from: siam on April 06, 2013, 01:08:53 AM
to avoid this message

On the bright side: In the recent nightlies focus stacking has been overhauled an imho has gotten easier to understand (now there's even a dumb focus bracketing mode so you just can pre-select the # of pix).

ed.jenner

Yes, I wanted to say somewhere that the new focus stacking (nightly builds) is great - much easier to use, much less chance of accidentally resetting the number of pictures to zero.

The only thing that was less intuitive was having to do the 'copy focus rack settings' or whatever it was called.  But it is better and I prefer the new method.

Unfortunately for the OP I have a 5DII.