Isn´t it risky to the sensor using Live View for more than 30 minutes ?

Started by Dihelson, May 15, 2016, 10:07:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dihelson

Hello, folks,

There´s a ML parameter called Sticky Shutter that is often used by many people to overcome the "problem" that all canon DSLR have, which shut down the mirror in live view mode after 30 minutes.
I intend to use my cameras ( mostly 5D Mark II and 700D ) for HDMI output and direct streaming, but I´ve seen articles claiming that the own camera shuts down to protect the sensor from high temperatures amd damage, Well...using Magic Lantern, it´s possible to record over 30 minutes. I myself have made many 1 or 2 hours recordings using this facility, but there´s always this question not answered, that using the camera in live view mode, or HDMI out mode, could be risky to damage the sensor, or create hot or dead pixels due to high temperatures ?

BTW, I have another question: My 5D Mark II, when using sticky shutter, displays a red HS inside a box. How could I get rid of this red box, because I want to stream directly from HDMI output ? I have disabled all overlays, which is set to "Always", but this square remains on the screen.

Thanks in advance

Canon 5D Mark II, 700D, Panasonic Fz200 | Canon 24-70mm f2.8L | 17-40mm f4.0L | 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | 50mm f1.8 | Blackmagic, Avermedia 4K cards

chris_overseas

EOS R5 1.1.0 | Canon 16-35mm f4.0L | Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2 | Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Canon 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L II | Canon 800mm f5.6L | Canon 100mm f2.8L macro | Sigma 14mm f/1.8 DG HSM Art | Yongnuo YN600EX-RT II

Dihelson

But there´s the real matter of sensor temperatures, no ? We always heard of the import duty...yes! Canon, Sony, Panasonic don´t want to close their movie cameras department because people are using DSLR for it, BUT...will sensors support temperatures ? My 5D Mark II gets very hot while in Live view for long time. I don´t know for sure if it will support or will have a short lifespan due to it. It would be interesting if more people which uses DSLR for streaming through HDMI or use a lot of live view could make their points here, but I don´t know where to find them...

Canon 5D Mark II, 700D, Panasonic Fz200 | Canon 24-70mm f2.8L | 17-40mm f4.0L | 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | 50mm f1.8 | Blackmagic, Avermedia 4K cards

PaulHarwood856

Hey Dihelson,

I've noticed when shooting for over an hour of movie restart option enabled the T3i gets hot but is still able to shoot continuously in liveview. For the 7D, the temperature doesn't get as hot as the T3i, at least to my knowledge. I know it's not the 5D Mark 2 or 700D, but I figured I would share my experiences with my cameras.

- Paul Harwood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dihelson

Hello, Paul,

Yes, we can shoot on T3i or T5i for more than 1 hour, or 2, 3...I´ve made some long recordings too, and yes, the sensor becomes hot, but it keeps recording. We only need to know if this is safe on a long run, or if by doing this, aren´t we abusing the camera, perhaps prone to hot pixels, or making the sensor die faster than using for photography due to high temperatures. We will not have an answer to this question unless people who use it frequently for long time recordings could add some information. I´m researching and consulting broadcasters on youtube that uses DSLR for continuous video recording, since it´s a tendency now to use DSLR for broadcast live events in churches, concerts, etc, since youtube and now Facebook made it possible. There´s dozens of services competing on this new market. The main software used is called wirecast. It can broadcast to Facebook, Youtube, and many others in realtime, and people all over the world watch. I see in the future, most people having his(her ) own TV channel. There´s already many of them ( in realtime ) on youtube. And they are using DSLR instead of video cameras ( which is expensive ) or webcams ( bad image ) for these broadcasts due to the high quality a DSLR can deliver. Thanks for comment.

PaulHarwood856

Hey Dihelson,

Ok I understand. This was a concern for me in the beginning, but after shooting events over the past few years, so far I haven't seen any degradation of my sensor. I also take the lens off, have the body cap on, and do a manual sensor clean for about a minute while pointing the camera down. This does a pixel remap to remove any hot or dead pixels. Luckily there's a way to remove them in After Effects if they are in H.264 video. For Raw Video, that's the beauty of Adobe Camera Raw. I noticed using a battery grip allows for better temperature of the T3i and 7D. I was on a shoot one time where the 7D shut off because the operator wasn't using a battery grip. One of the files wasn't recorded and one shot had to be reshot another day. I haven't had the T3i or 7D shut off on me, and I believe this is due to having a battery grip. I will make sure to post here if I do see any problems with my sensor over time however.

- Paul Harwood

Dihelson

I use a battery grip on my 5D Mark II, and it never shut down too. May be due to the battery grip, which works as a heat sink.

PaulHarwood856

Alright awesome, that's great to hear a battery grip works for you too Dihelson. I also like the grip because the extra weight helps with stability. But with 15mm rod setup it can get difficult lol.

Gadgetman

Did you ever figure out what the red HS displayed inside a box is (when in live view mode via HDMI)?
I have the same issue.

Robsi

Im doing Classical Music Videos with 3-4 600D's. I use a battery grip and flip out the screen and they run for many hours without ever shutting down for years now, even outside in the hot sun.

Dihelson

Hi, Robsi, this is great news. I needed to read this from a person who just use it for years. So, we have the proof now that there´s no problem to the sensor on a long term.

Thanks

PabloW

I record live gigs for 2 3 hours straight with my 650D. Only thing I have to deal with is the 30 minute limit, so it actually cuts there and I have to play the record button again. I wish that limit was eliminated.

Robsi

QuoteOnly thing I have to deal with is the 30 minute limit, so it actually cuts there and I have to play the record button again. I wish that limit was eliminated.

Why not use "restart" of ML?

PabloW

Yep, it's better than nothing, but it would be cool to have the ability to actually record non stop without the half second cut

Walter Schulz

Ask Canon for a firmware update. The very tax regulation causing this 29:59 issue was cancelled this month.

PabloW

That is amazing news! at least if Canon doesn't want to do it, we'll probably have an A7s who will :P who knows..

Audionut

Pointless to spend money releasing an update.

Just release new cameras instead.  $$$$$

PaulHarwood856

QuoteIm doing Classical Music Videos with 3-4 600D's. I use a battery grip and flip out the screen and they run for many hours without ever shutting down for years now, even outside in the hot sun.

I can confirm as well that when using the T3i in the sun it doesn't shut down and keeps recording fine. I usually offset a T3i and 7D by a few seconds with Auto Restart and this seems to resolve the 30 minute limit. However, it depends on the shoot if this is relevant to people. For some reason on the 7D Auto Restart won't stop when I stop the record button. It's really odd, and made me scared because I had to shut down my camera mid recording. So I just use this option when needed. I hope this helps.

- Paul Harwood

mbv35

How can I set up Magic Lantern in my Canon 70d for using Live View over 30 minutes?

adrjork

Sorry guys, about heat, after recording in liveview for a while, my 5D3 operating temperature rises up to 52-55° (it's a ML overlay, and it's colour turns orange/alert over 50°).
Do you think is a normal operating temperature for video recording?
Thanks

reddeercity

Yes , I do interviews/news stories & some developing where my 5D2 is on for a minimum of 1 Hour (60 min.) and longer (either recording raw video & or clean hdmi capture of liveview) Temp averages 55-58°c , I keep the ISO low as possible 100-200 but never over 800 as it get noisy & or a few hot pixels( at least on 5d2) (nothing that sensor remap can't fix  ;D )