Author Topic: Best preset for film look  (Read 11422 times)

AndreRodrigues

• New to the forum
Best preset for film look
« on: May 14, 2016, 12:47:01 AM »
I work with an Canon 70D and CineStyle...

Now I was looking on the internet and "discover" this other presets like Cineplus, VisionColor and MarevelFilms...

Saw in some old topic here something about these presets and I have two questions:

1 - CineStyle or some other one? Should I buy one of these? They are really better to work?

2 - How they do this presets? There's a Canon software to work on it? If yes, what is the soft? I saw there's something like that and there's some third party soft's too and it's on ly legal sell presets made in the third party soft right?

Tnx for all responses!
Canon 70D + Sandisk 32GB Extreme 90MB/s SDHC 3 10 + Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens + Canon EF-S 55-250MM F/4-5.6 IS STM + Canon EF 50MM F/1.8 II

dude

Re: Best preset for film look
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 12:39:01 PM »
Never ever use cinestyle.
With h264, you re recording 8 bit files. The best way to go is to film as close as your final video should look like.
You canĀ“t compare real log to cinestyle or other profiles, it does not work like  this.
Turn down sharpness, and use a less flat profile like flaat or neutral. Marvel gives you a orange/teal look and is nice, but sometimes fucks up the skintones.

markodarko

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 03:15:03 PM »
No kind of profile will give you a "film look" as it's not film. To make it look like film you'll need to grade and emulate a film stock and add grain... However... Different profiles can definitely make your footage less like "video", but as @dude said, that really just means recording with zero sharpening.

That doesn't mean it will then look "cinematic" though - which is perhaps what I think you really mean(?). For that you'll need to focus more on composition and lighting, not your picture profile.

Here's a comparison I did between RAW and h.264 with the "faithful" picture profile with zero sharpening:

Neither looks like "film" because they're just random clips without any real thought to composition or lighting, but the h.264 holds up well providing you capture it correctly in camera - which is crucial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AndreRodrigues

• New to the forum
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2016, 05:26:06 AM »
Guys first of all, thx for the answers. I totally understand the difference between raw and h264... I totally understand there's no magic. I work with this for a long time.

I just want to know the differences between these profiles.

I like CineStyle, I prefer use it and than color grading than use just a default profile or some flat profile configured on the camera. But this is just my opinion.

I really just want to know from people which like use profiles like these, if there's a too big difference between them... Or if I should keep using CineStyle.
Canon 70D + Sandisk 32GB Extreme 90MB/s SDHC 3 10 + Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens + Canon EF-S 55-250MM F/4-5.6 IS STM + Canon EF 50MM F/1.8 II

ItsMeLenny

• 550D
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 06:35:36 AM »
I like to use VideoX from canon. I will use it until I develop my own :P
http://www.canon.co.jp/imaging/picturestyle/file/videocamera.html

AndreRodrigues

• New to the forum
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2016, 10:26:03 PM »
I like it too... But I saw some comparisons and I think I'll still using my Technocolor CineStyle and ad the Marvel's and the VisionTech. With these u can cover almost any situation.

jimharrison.film

• New to the forum
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2016, 06:00:37 PM »
I use VisionTech by VisionColor for all my projects. It's a great starting point to start grading your footage, as it's a flat picture style but retains a high amount of colour information.

Also, their OSIRIS pack of LUTs can be applied to footage filmed with VisonTech, for an instant 'film like' grade, which looks great. Probably best as a starting point to further grade your footage to how you want it, but if you're new to grading or you want to save time, they're totally passable without any further grading. And as there are 9 different LUTs in the pack, there is a range of different aesthetics to play with. Each LUT has a Rec709 version for the VisionTech profile, and a LOG version, which can be used with Magic Lantern RAW footage.

To get the maximum out of your footage, it's also best to denoise (with NeatVideo for example) in a 16bit environment, as it eliminates any compression artefacts. Then, add a film grain to your footage to avoid banding.

Check out their site for examples of the look. http://www.vision-color.com/osiris/

Or, here are a couple of vids I've used OSIRIS with:
https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=wJQOZgYujlk filmed with VisionTech profile on Canon 60D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBEo-ca8JZA filmed in Magic Lantern RAW on Canon 60D

AndreRodrigues

• New to the forum
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2016, 12:30:16 AM »
Just to say, I know is a old topic but maybe can be helpful

The EOS HD launch the C-Log Picture Profile for all canon`s and it is AMAZING.

I don`t use any other PP anymore. Just this one and it`s perfect. And works very good on Low Lights :D

markanini

• New to the forum
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2016, 01:58:35 AM »
No kind of profile will give you a "film look" as it's not film. To make it look like film you'll need to grade and emulate a film stock and add grain... However... Different profiles can definitely make your footage less like "video", but as @dude said, that really just means recording with zero sharpening.

That doesn't mean it will then look "cinematic" though - which is perhaps what I think you really mean(?). For that you'll need to focus more on composition and lighting, not your picture profile.

Here's a comparison I did between RAW and h.264 with the "faithful" picture profile with zero sharpening:

Neither looks like "film" because they're just random clips without any real thought to composition or lighting, but the h.264 holds up well providing you capture it correctly in camera - which is crucial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I made some tests with your picture style settings (Faithful, Contrast:1 Saturation:2) in different light conditions, and damn, totally nailed that "already graded" look I was going for.
Gear: Canon 600D + EF-S 18-55mm IS II, Yongnuo YN560IV.

budafilms

• 5D Mark a1ex
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2016, 09:40:01 AM »

markanini

• New to the forum
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2016, 09:13:07 PM »
Take a walk here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=16299.new#new

;)
Cool thread, I keep following it. But there's not much talk about why it's better than getting the desired look out of camera. Anyone can say flat shooting is the only way to do it, but it takes more than that to say it's justified. I found an article that goes against the grain merely but talking about the pros and cons of both ways: http://www.shutterangle.com/2012/canon-picture-styles-shooting-flat-or-not/ I'm guessing it's really more relevant for projects that have specific color grading requirements, like feature films. Would you bother shooting flat for a documentary and risk color banding from pushing 8-bit video? That's hardly the look of film.
Gear: Canon 600D + EF-S 18-55mm IS II, Yongnuo YN560IV.