Tip: How to Record Video for More Than 30 Minutes using Canon cameras

Started by Dihelson, May 16, 2016, 09:48:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dihelson

Hello, guys,

There´s an old topic here on ML forum about how to record video for more than 30 minutes, but since the topic is more than 120 days old, the forum suggests that I create a new topic if want to comment, so here we are...

Some people talking about how to get more than 30 minutes videos on Canon cameras, when a person suggested getting an external recorder named "Atomos Ninja" for recording through HDMI output, instead of using the own camera with the limitations we all know ( 30 minutes ). Well, my two cents to this question: You don´t need to rent or purchase an expensive Atomos Ninja to do the task. You only need a laptop or a desktop PC ( which I think most of us already have ), and a USB capture card, like Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle ( There´s two versions, one USB and another Thunderbolt for Mac users ). So, you use your Canon cameras with Magic Latern to remove all overlays on the HDMI output. On Magic Lantern, set to remove overlays on the "Always" position. Then, connect your camera to the USB capture card using a mini HDMI to HDMI cable. Then, connect your capture card to a USB 3.0 port on the computer. Use a capture software, like the one which comes with the capture card. Use ML to remove the 30 minutes auto live vew shut down, by enabling the parameter "sticky halfshutter" located on the MISC tab ( unfortunately, Canon T5i ( 700D ) doesn´t support it yet, but most cameras support. That´s it! Now, you can record video with no limits on most Canon cameras. You can capture sound through an external device like a small Tascam DR-05 or a Zoom H1 audio recorder and merge on any video editor later.

The advantages:

01 - You won´t have any gap by using canon cameras and ML starting the recording over and over.
02 - The cost is minimal because you´re using what you already have.
03 - Image quality is incredible !
04 - You can use this for live streaming to youtube, Facebook and all systems with the greatest possible quality and a minimum price.

The disavantages:

01 - More equipment to transport, but if you need it for churches, shows, live events, this isn´t a problem.
02 - You need to acquire an external capture card like Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle, but it´s not expensive.

That´s it !
If you have any doubt about live streaming using this system, or wish to discuss the matter, or join us on a team to share knowledge about Live Streaming and recording for more than 30 minutes with DSLR, please contact me:

Add me:
www.facebook.com/dihelson
www.youtube.com/dihelson
Or e-mail:  [email protected]

All feedback is welcomed.

Dihelson Mendonça

My equipment for broadcast and recording videos: Several Canon 5D Mark II, 700D, Panasonic FZ200, Canon SX40
Capture cards: Avermedia, Blackmagic Intensity 4k, Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0
Softwares: Complete Adobe Suite, Sony Vegas, Wirecast, Xplit, and several more.
PCs: Several i7 2600k at 4.8Ghz watercooler, Samsung SSDs, Asus GTX 980ti for video edition.
Other: 4 Logitech C920 webcams used for video streaming. Audio studio, Mackie 32/8 mixer, Focusrite saffire pro 40, Focusrite Octopre, EchoAudio Layla 24, Avalon pre-amps, AKG mics, Tascam Dr-60 and Dr-05 mini audio recorders, Alesis monitor system, etc.
Canon 5D Mark II, 700D, Panasonic Fz200 | Canon 24-70mm f2.8L | 17-40mm f4.0L | 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | 50mm f1.8 | Blackmagic, Avermedia 4K cards