Best MLV converter for OSX?

Started by _OLLE_, May 09, 2016, 10:26:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_OLLE_

Hi, as the title mention I wonder a little bit about the best method to convert MLV files to highest possible quality cdng or dng? Whats the differance between cinema-dngs and normal dngs and which one gives best quality? I know there is a lots of converting program and I really like RawMagic but I know the this software isn't supported of ML, so I'm searching for a new converter. I want a simple software that gives highest possible Cdns/dngs for further import to after effects? I post my workflow down here if you want to see!?:

Workflow:
MLV → convert to dng/cdng → After Effects (converted the footage to Log with Cinelog-C ) → export to (Apple ProRes 442 HQ) → Import to Premiere Pro (edit and grading)→ export to (Apple ProRes 442 HQ) → upload!

It would also be nice to have some tips how I can speed up the workflow and If there in anyway is possible to import multiple dng files to After Effects!?

regards Olle!

markodarko

MLVFS, without doubt.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=13152.0

Your workflow will then look like this:

MLV > Open in MLVFS (no need to convert) > Convert RAW in After Effects ACR > Export to ProRes etc...

MLVFS cuts out a big chunk of time (as it lets you open MLV files directly in AE as cDNG sequences) and also a big chunk of storage space as you don't first have to convert to standalone cDNG files.

IMO there isn't any other real alternative as every other solution requires that you first convert your MLV to something else.

Cheers,

Mark.

_OLLE_

Okey thanks! I have look up a little bit of MLVFS before but what do you mean with "it lets you open MLV files directly in AE as cDNG sequences" it sounds awesome and how do I do that? In AE I just go to "import" and import my MLV files and they will show up as cdng sequences in AE? Does I need internet to use MLVFS?

dmilligan

MLVFS creates "virtual" drives that show up as folders full of cDNG files corresponding to the directory of MLV files you pointed it to.

Quote from: _OLLE_ on May 10, 2016, 05:11:42 PM
Does I need internet to use MLVFS?
No

markodarko

In AE I just go to "import" and import my MLV files and they will show up as cdng sequences in AE?

Yep! :-D

Does I need internet to use MLVFS?

Nope. :-)

It is actually amazing once you start using it. There really is no viable alternative IMO.

Cheers,

Mark.

_OLLE_

okey! I will try it out! What quality on the cdngs is it 14bit? 16bit? So if I have understand this right, instead of importing the cdngs that MLVFS has created I can Import the original MLV file and MLVFS automaticly locates and import it as a cdng sequence to AE?

Frank7D

If you're using AE with MLVFS, you'll want to use the Smart Import 2 script.
Also, the post here includes an explanation of how to use the script with AE (steps 3-6; the rest of it won't apply to you since you're on a mac.)