Sensor Crop vs DOF video shot with ML RAW on 5D III

Started by markodarko, May 08, 2016, 09:54:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markodarko

Hi guys and gals,

I've just uploaded my Sensor Crop vs DOF video which you may or may not find interesting, but even if you don't, the footage was shot on a Canon 5D III with Magic Lantern RAW at 1920x820 and can be found at the following times if you want to skip the footage:

2:56
4:45
11:33

Direct link is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC6nM3S4S1k

I'm really loving the After Effects approach to convert the RAW cDNGs via MLVFS, I must say!  :D

Cheers,

Mark.

DeafEyeJedi

The best 12 minute clip anyone can ask for especially for those who often confuse themselves with DOF, Crop Factor and whatnot. Definitely interesting and yet educational, Ha!

Well job done on the editing and I like the pace as it wasn't too animated at all.

Earlier today I just forced myself to use @a1ex's build for the crop mode.rec on the 5D3 while shooting in H264 ... Anxious to see the footage as I'm scared shitless. Isn't that the fun part and one of the best things about using ML is the thrill and joy that comes along like no other.

This basically says it all. Priceless.

Thanks for sharing your work @markodarko!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

markodarko

Wow, thank you for the kind words @DeafEyeJedi! Yeah, I felt that video needed doing as there's definitely confusion between users with regards to DOF and crop factor. I'm glad that at least someone liked it.  :D

I've not tried the crop mode in h.264 but all the Super 16 crop simulations in the video were done with that module, albeit in RAW, and it works superbly. The great thing about it is that it centres the image which using the 5x crop mode doesn't - at least for me - so creating those crops was easy.

Let us know how you got on with the footage once you've had a chance to look at it.

Thanks again for your kind words,

Mark.

ItsMeLenny

The problem with your video embed is that you have https:// it only works with http:// (non secure), or maybe if you remove it completely.

My general thinking has always been, and this was only when I had basic camera knowledge back when digital cameras were expensive and vhs was difficult to get onto the computer, that the bigger the sensor the less depth of field. I learned this by watching the behind the scenes on one of the batman films where they spoke about shooting with IMAX cameras (one of which they accidentally destroyed when it fell off its rig and got run over) and they mentioned that the bigger film size meant less depth of field, I put two and two together :P

Part of the catch here is that depending on the lens bought for which camera or depending on the camera used with attached lens is that some mention the equivalent focal length, some the actual focal length and some both. (Which you talk about, I'm just repeating it lol)

Great video, it's good to see it in practice. And I'm glad you touch on the "cinematic look", that it's not just what camera that gives something a cinematic look.

(See how that youtube embedding goes and if it doesn't work I'll come up with something else :P)

markodarko

Quote from: ItsMeLenny on May 08, 2016, 11:45:15 AM
The problem with your video embed is that you have https:// it only works with http:// (non secure), or maybe if you remove it completely.

Aha! You are a genius! Thank you, @ItsMeLenny!

Quote from: ItsMeLenny on May 08, 2016, 11:45:15 AM
My general thinking has always been, and this was only when I had basic camera knowledge back when digital cameras were expensive and vhs was difficult to get onto the computer, that the bigger the sensor the less depth of field.

I think this is the general consensus which is one of the things that prompted me to create the video, the other was hearing comments thrown around such as "just bought a Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm f/0.95 lens for my Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera to give me that awesome shallow depth of field!", when in fact, in Full Frame land they've bought the equivalent DOF of a 50mm f/8 which hardly gives you bragging rights in my book.  ;)

axelcine

Excellent. I'll surely use this splendid video when teaching photo, it clarifies a bunch of issues in a very straightforward way - and the short live videos embedded are a thrill, so beautifully and carefully color graded. More, sir! More.
EOS RP, 5dIII.113/Batt.grip, 5dIII.123, 700d/Batt.Grip/VF4 viewfinder + a truckload of new and older Canon L, Sigma and Tamron glass

markodarko

Thank you, @axelcine. It's a real honour that you think it's something you could use as teaching material!

axelcine

Absolutely first class material. The presentation speaks volumes and the thorough planning. As I wrote: More, please.
EOS RP, 5dIII.113/Batt.grip, 5dIII.123, 700d/Batt.Grip/VF4 viewfinder + a truckload of new and older Canon L, Sigma and Tamron glass