256GB cards becoming corrupted / some unreadable .MLVs ...HELP!

Started by newt23, May 04, 2016, 12:23:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

newt23

5D3.00123.FIR

Attached dropbox link to:
-the ML build and everything on the SD card
-one of the good files from the corrupted CF KB 256GB 1066x (but the corrupted MLVs I need are unreadable/unwriteable)
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/c6ba5uvmnpmxjc7/AACNCEPtYggAHhA41mlTDmKDa?dl=0

Been using MLV for a long time.  This has now happened twice recently.  First on KB 256GB 1200x then on KB 256GB 1066x card a few days ago.
While recording there are seemingly no issues in camera.  Then when I plug in card reader "OS X cannot repair the disk"  On both occasions roughly half the files are fine and the rest can't be opened by mlrawviewer..no message.  Raw magic says "No files were added to the queue. Make sure all of your files are in the proper format. If you're trying to add a spanned sequence, you must add all the files in the sequence at once."  And I can't even copy the files off the card..finder says "The Finder can't complete the operation because some data in "M29-2231.MLV" can't be read or written.
(Error code -36)"

The KB 256GB 1066x card was formatted exFat in OS X disk utility before use as usual.  I'm not sure why this is happening..and not happening with my KB 64GB cards. 

The unreadable MLV files are in their correct sizes on the card, hoping that is a good sign for some kind of recovery.  Please help.  Important files.
How can I share the files for someone to examine if they are unreadable?

Many thanks in advance.

markodarko

Have you tried running Disk Utility and using the Verify/Repair feature? Sounds like an issue with your cards more than ML though.

GutterPump

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: markodarko on May 04, 2016, 09:20:24 AM
Have you tried running Disk Utility and using the Verify/Repair feature? Sounds like an issue with your cards more than ML though.

+1 -- this one should definitely do the trick.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

newt23

Quote from: markodarko on May 04, 2016, 09:20:24 AM

Yes I was hoping disk utility verify and repair  would work but disk utility says "unable to repair disk, back up files and then reformat disk."

I have tried a transcend 3.0 and kingston 3.0 both udma 7 certified..not sure why this is only happening to my KB 256 GB cards.

markodarko

Quote from: GutterPump on May 04, 2016, 12:38:46 PM
Do you use a good CF card reader UDMA 7 certified, with USB 3.0 connexion ? Like this one : http://www.lexar.com/readers/lexar-professional-usb-30-dual-slot-reader?category=203

This is a very good point that GutterPump makes. I've heard that if you don't use a UDMA7 reader then the files can get corrupt during transfer. They'll still be ok on the card though. You'd think they'd be backward compatible, just slower, but no. Apparently they're not.

I use one of these and it works beautifully.

Walter Schulz

That's not how I understood KB's support staff comment. They were telling using their cards in non-UDMA-7 devices may permanently/irreversible damage cards.

However had a card replaced by KB support after it went dead. I'm pretty sure never using it with non-compatible devices.
Not the only CF-card went south here (other manufacturer).

newt23

Confirmed.  Kingston reader I was using is not udma7 supported.  Switched back to my transcend 3.0 udma7 (was being borrowed).

Thank you, was not expecting the card reader as the problem. 

markodarko

Quote from: Walter Schulz on May 05, 2016, 01:38:53 AM
That's not how I understood KB's support staff comment. They were telling using their cards in non-UDMA-7 devices may permanently/irreversible damage cards.

Ohhhhh, well that's even worse!  :o Thanks for the heads-up, Walter. I misunderstood.

All the best,

Mark.