EOSM, help: weird "glitches"

Started by spe42, May 03, 2016, 05:31:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spe42

I've been messing around with my eosm today, and so far I've encountered several "problems."
Having just started using ml, I don't know yet how much of this is to do with the settings I have chosen, or what.
I'll list my settings below, first, here are the problems I've been having:

1) in expo: dual iso value changed in movie mode so that both values are changed to the same number (sometimes in photo mode, but usually with camera turn off)
2) in expo: whenever I change iso to below 200, it automatically resets to 200 (in dual iso, setting it to 400/800) *5/7: solved
3) in video mode: when recording the last few times (it was working fine earlier) video will get stuck in loop of 1-2 frames in live view, however in file manager it shows that video has been recording the whole time. *5/7/: this has not happened since, but I still don't know what caused it
4) for some reason, perhaps this is common, when I enable silent pictures two things happen: one, the left arrow on the "joystick"/d-pad/whatever triggers a photo; two: when I go to disable silent picture photos can no longer be taken normally. Does this fall under the so-called "shutter bug" issue typical to this model?
5) in photo mode: weird vertical banding/red and blue noise, doesn't show up in captured photo, screenshot below:
6) in ML settings menu: random graphics from the live view HUD will flash over the screen, sometimes I will press a button/arrow key/etc. and it will exit the menu and start recording.
7) I have also noted that even after I turn off all the modules which I understand to be connected to other values it still seems as though some of the settings in the camera are changing (I'm thinking specifically of fps and shutter values) without my having done so, which makes having reliable presets rather difficult...
8 ) Just today (5/7) I've been noticing that my color profile from between the resulting photo and live view is drastically different, very confusing.
9) it also seems as if every time I take the photos and videos I've shot off of the memory card that the camera will start behaving noticeably different. The camera has not gone through the same startup "behavior" every time. That is to say, atm when it turns on ant the scripts start loading, the image becomes choppy, whereas previously it had not done so. I don't remember any of the other changes that have happened of if they were as obvious; the main point is that the camera's performance always seems a little weird on startup after clearing the folder dcim/100canon.
10) In ML menu: sometimes when I turn the camera on and off the max resolution that the camera will constantly record at is diminished (before turning off it's stable at a higher one, then on reboot it is no longer so), despite not having changed anything. This and similar problems seem to have ways of being worked around, however, only by fiddling with the camera settings until it seems to "remember" that there's no conflict, I presume as much anyway, I have no idea what's going on. Again, this is making it incredibly impractical to even take the EOSM out to shoot aside from testing purposes, which I can't really make much headway in unless someone can help me out and tell me what I need to do to get all this dealt with.
11) info button will not always toggle between ML and Canon overlays. Just tried turning off global draw and it did not change anything... there's also this orange line at the bottom of the screen that appears to be "loading" whenever I press the INFO button, however, it doesn't actually seem to be doing anything. When I press the INFO button, it seems merely to change the direction which the orange line is going.

I had some working settings earlier today, started having the pink screen overexposure/peaking, and figured out that
I had forgotten to edit some settings in FPS override, changed that and had a decent video setting again, did some
shooting, turned camera off, then was experiencing the pink screen/overexposure again, without having changed
any settings.
Fiddled with settings to see what was going on, ultimately did not change any parameters, switched some on and off,
and then had workable live view again. Turned camera off and same problem occurred. Is this a common thing?

Also had the following error while running api_test.lua: upon running the script, initially showed a number zero on the right side of the ML menu, have to manually exit ml menu before script can be seen, script runs, fails, and show this error message:

script failed:
ML/SCRIPTS/API_TEST.LUA:213: set 'shutter' failed
slack trackback:
[C]: in metamethod '__newindex'
ML/SCRIPTS/API_TEST.LUA:213: in function 'test_camera_exposure'
ML/SCRIPTS/API_TEST.LUA:638: in function 'api_tests'

Tried several times since the first error with a different sd card, the third time I got almost the same error
as the first, but with the first ml/script reading LUA:222 instead of 213. What does this mean?

*EDIT—May 7th:
so I also am having some strange things happening when I push the shutter up to 32" (in photo mode)... once it had a perfectly workable image, and then after changing other settings and the shutter as well (and going back to photo mode) suddenly putting the exposure up to 32" produces some strange live view results:

This is supposed to be some lightposts on my college campus...
from what I remember the photo it produces looks nothing like it, however all of this is rather perturbing, and I could use some feedback.
the wrong man for thhe wrong job

Walter Schulz

2: You haven't activated "Highligth Tone Priority" in Canon menu by any chance?

spe42

It is activated, but through the ML menu, is that what you mean? I'm still getting familiar with the camera. I can't seem to find where "highlight tone priority" is located in the actual canon firmware (despite HTP being referenced to in other areas, like the canon overlays... e.g. "iso range is limited while 'highlight tone priority is enable'").

Licaon_Kter

> 4) for some reason, perhaps this is common, when I enable silent pictures two things happen: one, the left arrow on the
> "joystick"/d-pad/whatever triggers a photo;

Custom function for STAR (left arrow) is set to 1 or 3, right? You need to _long press_ for focus, else registers as half-shutter.

> two: when I go to disable silent picture photos can no longer be taken normally. Does this fall under the so-called
> "shutter bug" issue typical to this model?

What card? What lens, zoom?

You need more pics (these don't load now).

You did reset both Canon and ML settings just in case?

spe42

@ Licaon_Kter
Just posted this on the camera specific thread for the eosm:
QuoteI just updated to the most recent nightly build, and my camera won't turn on now. The green light blinks, and that's it, with or without the memory card. What does this mean and is there anything I can do about this?
If I remove both the memory card and the battery and keep the memory card out after putting the battery back in, the camera will at least turn on, and otherwise seemingly behave normally.
I noticed something strange right before I formatted the card in the camera: I couldn't select the "light formatting" option by pressing the "info" button, which parallels another problem I reported having in my other thread (that I could no longer disable the ML overlays by pressing the "info" button).
This isn't what they call "soft bricked," is it? Pretty ironic, but I got tired of waiting to hear from someone about the issues I was experiencing, and I totally goofed, so unfortunately I can't get any more pics until I can figure that out... the card it's a 64gb sandisk extreme pro, lens is just a single lens c-mount (literally just a piece of glass and a c-mount adapter), as far as zoom, I can't remember what the settings were prior to it's current state.

Licaon_Kter

I've read it there too, no idea though.
Go back to start, delete everything from card ( ML\ autoexec.bin ML-SETUP.fir ) and retry?

spe42

I just erased everything from the camera on mac disk utility. I didn't quite know what to do, so I erased all the free space on the sd card as well as doing a basic erase to make doubly sure that the issue wasn't with the card, and it turns out that the camera still goofs up when I put the memory card in. I guess I can try reinstalling the original firmware, I don't know if that's a bad idea or not though.

dmilligan

Format the card in the computer.
Format the card in the camera.
Download the latest nightly build.
Follow the instructions to install it.

spe42

That's the thing... I did format the card in the computer, however, the camera won't do anything but cause the power button to blink green, i.e. I can't navigate any of the menus on the camera when I put the sd card into the camera. This all happened once I updated to the latest nightly (5/7/16). Previously it had been working, albeit with the glitches mentioned in the first post. I formatted the card in the camera, deleted the old ML folders, put the new nightly build onto the card, and as soon as I put the card back in the camera it started having this problem of not turning on fully, except after removing both the battery and memory card, and putting the memory card back in.

dmilligan

Where's Walter when you need him. Sigh.

Please don't skip any steps or say that you've already done that or tried that. Just do exactly what I say in order and report what happens.

Remove card. Remove battery. Replace battery. Turn on camera. Results?
Reset all Canon settings and custom functions.

Format the card in the computer.
Remove battery. Replace battery.
Insert Card. Results? (If no good, then try a different card).
Format the card in the camera.
Download the latest nightly build.
Follow the instructions to install it.

spe42

User error :) I formatted the card incorrectly, I didn't know what I was doing.
I've got the latest nightly working now.