Converting legacy RAW to a valid MLV is now possible

Started by bouncyball, May 02, 2016, 04:00:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bouncyball

Update

Now it supports multi chunk RAW files In both DNG and MLV mode. Link on the first post updated.

@Danne, DeafEyeJedi:
Can you try it with more than 2 chunks. I have no camera at the moment. Splitted manually the file I have to several pieces and it's ok but would be nice to test it on raws right out of the camera.

regards
bb

Danne

Fully working. Tested with 23gb 5 chunk RAW file. You,ve created a RAW demolisher ;).

Latest compilation
raw2dng
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4tCJMlOYfirTUZHeUR2TEdlSWM/view?usp=sharing

Danne

On a sidenote you actually finally solved the spanned file issue with raw2dng so now instead of using cat the dng files will export just like mlv_dump. How good is that. Great!

bouncyball

Thank you for helping Danne :)

As Audionut said a short while ago:

QuoteTo create a RAW to MLV convertor would require a bulk of time from a developer to develop the software, which would be used by few, once, to create the files, then be useless.
Well... that's right.

So let's demolish legacy stuff... Long live to MLV Lite :)

regards
bb

Danne

Agreed. To speed up things I could integrate your raw to mlv workflow in MLP. Could put in a little pop menu asking for creation of mlv files. Could even be an added option to utilize mlv sidecar files?

bouncyball

It's a honor to be a small part of your project :)

However as linux/win user and owner of very old mac mini and also old hackintosh machine never used macosx for serious video stuff just for some testing.

bb

Danne

Danne

bouncyball

I really have to try MLP :)

My quadruple boot :P (Linux/Win10/MacOSX ML/Androidx86 RemixOS) Asus Zenbook's performing not that bad with its old low power i7. Will it work on mountain lion?

bb

Danne

hm, I think so :). I had problems with a user trying to get it to work on a really old mac with 32-bit architecture but it should work otherwise.

a1ex

@bouncyball: what about creating a pull request, to merge your work in the main repository and get proper credits?

bouncyball

@a1ex

Will put it into repository with pleasure. Had no time and just want to polish some fseek->fseeko64 stuff for more win32 compatibility.

regards
bb

tecgen

QuoteWill it work on mountain lion?
I installed Yosemite some months ago on a Thinkpad x201 with an old i5 processor. It works quite well. I couldn't get Wifi working, even after I installed a patched BIOS and changed the internal card with a compatible (but maybe broken) one. Currently I use a cheap tiny USB Wifi adapter as workaround. Good luck!
Canon 5D Mark II, 50D, 550D/Rebel T2i, EF 40mm f/2.8 STM, Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8, EF 85 f1.8, EF 135 f2.8 SF, Zoom H2n

bouncyball

@tecgen

I installed MLP on osx mountain lion and it works smoothly. Just cpu (2xCore i7 ultralow voltage series) is too slow for video encoding.
OT: Yes I'm also using usb realtec chip based wifi. Could not find any Intel Centrino wifi driver for osx. I even managed the touch screen ;) and full mac power management with proper intel stepping work under osx, but not wifi. And it was ~3.5 years ago... never updated osx since then.

regards
bb

bouncyball

Hi

I was a little bit annoyed with the fact that mlv lite files are not playable in the First-And-Only-Crossplatform-Realtime-MLV-Player-With-Extras and great OpenGL overlay interface. Yes you guessed it - it's MLRawViewer! I'm sure lots of you guys are using it like just a player.

It was sugested by Danne that this behavior was caused by 0 value of the FrameCount in MLV header produced by new raw_rec module (mlvlite). Proof is here.

Two facts:

1. Unfortunately it seems that baldand not gonna continue to develop the project further, his last post dated "March 22, 2015, 10:21:17AM", and this problem not gonna be fixed. Very sad.
2. This framecount value is no big deal for any software which indexes complex mlv files (spanned/single) before using them. And I guess raw_rec does not pushes it into file after recording for some performance wise reason. And we will not get this value pushed to the file any soon :).

That's why I cooked small easily usable utility to address this mlrawiewer black screen issue.

Additional info and links are on updated first page.

Regards
bb

a1ex

A better way would be to update the frame count in mlv_lite source code. And I bet it's easier as well - the only difference from plain C is the naming of the file I/O functions (instead of fseek you have FIO_SeekSkipFile, but they work in the same way).

This can be done at the end of the recording, so there's no worry about performance. Maybe just a little care for spanned files.

bouncyball

hehe I new you would reply about no performance issue :) and yes - care about spanned files (you mentioned it while back). My coding is so rusty after years, needed some training...

Regarding of creating raw2dng pull request how can I manage it. I'm good at downloading from the repo not uploading/updating something etc...

regards
bb

Danne

Nice one bouncyball. You created what I was thinking of doing. MlRawViewer is the better viewer so hopefully mlv-lite gets the the needed update in raw_rec or I would like to make your fix working in mlp.
Nice that you got MLP up and running by the way @tecgen @bouncyball.

g3gg0

Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

dmilligan

bouncyball

@g3gg0: Thanks, u r welcome :)

@dmilligan: I'm glad my effort of speeding up elimination of this issue is successfull ;)

regards
bb

Danne

QuoteI'm glad my effort of speeding up elimination of this issue is successfull
Amen  :P

DeafEyeJedi

5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

bouncyball

Danne