Canon 7D Bricked

Started by medievalfreak101, May 01, 2016, 10:37:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

medievalfreak101

Hi! First, I want to thank the geniuses who have come up with this software, I use it frequently on a 6D and a 60D

Onto my problem. Please forgive any incorrect teminology I use, I'm just a humble artist, and dont write code or create software) Yesterday I bought a used 7d, and decided to install magic lantern. The firmware version on the camera was 2.0.5, so I rolled back to the acceptable version (2.0.3) using the provided download, and had no problems. Installed ML onto the card, followed all the directions, got to the part where I restart the camera, and it wouldnt turn on. No blinking, no sign of life whatsoever. I have tried the following: I have removed the battery, removed the card, attempted to restart without the card, with a fresh card, and combinations of all of these things. 2 things worth noting: I was using a battery grip (not sure if thats of any consequence or not) and I was using a CF to SD adapter, and have since read in the forums that they are crap and shouldnt ever be used, so my first order of business will be to get a new CF card tomorrow. But is there something I have missed in the mean time? I'm mostly concerned because it still wont show any sign of life even without a card.

Ive done a pretty exhaustive search of the forums, came across the diagnostic tests, but am unsure how to proceed with the LED blink test or if I should try other things before that.

Again, sorry I'm not very technologically inclined, hopefully you dont have to spell everything out for me completely, and thanks in advanced for any help!

medievalfreak101

Ok, update, the camera will now start without the CF card in it, but that is the only way (another member posted that their camera would boot up if it had a ML card in it, but not with a fresh card. Unfortunately, that isnt working for me) I didnt do anything different than I had been doing before when it wouldnt boot, but for some reason doing it a zillion times made it turn on. I have attempted to format the card, still no luck getting it booted with a card in it.

Walter Schulz

Format card in cardreader. Remove battery.
Insert battery. Insert card. Format card in cam.
Results?