Motion Detection Canon 6D

Started by Alan Thomson, February 01, 2016, 10:28:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Thomson

I am using a 6D with firmware 1.1.3 and have set up Motion Detection with Trigger - Frame Diff, Trigger level - 1, Detect size - small on Manual mode, focus switched off at lens.  When I flick my hand over the lens nothing happens.  Have I missed an essential step?  Thanks for help.  Alan T

hayabusabill

hi i am trying to find out about  Motion Detection my self if you look around youtube there are a few things
but they are in German & Spanish

or look at Magic Lantern v2.3 - User's Guide wiki.magiclantern.fm/userguide

hope it helps

Alan Thomson

Thanks, I have looked at Youtube and at the Userguide and I think/hope I have done everything right.  But it still doesn't work. Must be missing one vital step?
Alan

Walter Schulz

Begin with
M mode, Liveview, MF

Motion Detect -> Trigger by Expo. change. Don't change defaults.
Motion Detect ON

Does cam trigger if you put your hand in front and move it away?

Alan Thomson

Thanks, changed trigger setting to "Expo change" - shutter fires now when I pass my hand over the lens or when I move the camera. 

Thanks for your help.

Alan

Walter Schulz

Change trigger to frame diff.
Cam should trigger if you're panning. Does it work?

Alan Thomson

Tried changing trigger to Frame diff - shutter does not fire, either when panning or moving hand across lens.  I want to use the motion detect to photograph birds and thought that Frame diff would be the most likely setting. However, expo will do for now.

Thanks

Alan

Kathode-Ray

Hi,

I just tried this to confirm.

The 'Expo change' setting works fine, but I can't get the other two modes to work.

'Frame diff' produces an empty black square on the screen, but apart from that nothing happens and 'motion level' remains '0' while panning.

'Steady hands' seems to do nothing at all at first, no detection square, just the usual Live-view screen. But if I press half-shutter the black square and 'Motion level: 100' appear. The camera then starts to take pictures at regular intervals. But it makes no difference if I keep the cam steady or not.

So I guess it's a bug :)
6DmkII | M50 | M || AT-X 16-28 | 24-70 2.8 VC | 24-105 4.0L | 70-200 4.0L IS || 35 2.0 IS | 45 1.8 VC | 100 2.0 | 135 2.0 || 11-22 | 18-55 | 55-200 | 22 | 28 Macro || Metz 58 AF-2 | Røde Videomic Pro

Walter Schulz

Thanks for your test!

Little test routine:
- Backup ML directory (esp. Settings dir)
- Prefs tab -> Config files -> Restore ML defaults
- Restart cam
- Enter Liveview and make sure to have exposure settings showing up some scene well lit
- Leave LV and enable "Frame diff".
- Press half shutter

-> Cam has to enter liveview on its own and must (!) take a pic if frame detection sets in.

Possible results:
- Cam entering LV but frame detection fails. Numbers on screen changing at all?
- Cam works as designed, taking a shot.

Please report back.

Kathode-Ray

Hi,

Just followed your directions and here are the results:

The cam directly enters LV after I enable 'Frame diff' and press the garbage can to close ML menu. I don't even have to press half-shutter.

The black detection area shows, and 'Motion level: 0' top left. This doesn't change and the cam doesn't take any pictures.

When I try to stop LV, it immediately enters LV again. I have to disable 'Motion detect' to get the cam out of LV.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Ray
6DmkII | M50 | M || AT-X 16-28 | 24-70 2.8 VC | 24-105 4.0L | 70-200 4.0L IS || 35 2.0 IS | 45 1.8 VC | 100 2.0 | 135 2.0 || 11-22 | 18-55 | 55-200 | 22 | 28 Macro || Metz 58 AF-2 | Røde Videomic Pro

Walter Schulz

Thanks! Found out there is an issue open at Bitbucket covering same error:
https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/issues/2418/frame-difference-motion-detection-always
Will add something there.
There seems to be a problem, however: 6D looks like "blindly maintained".

Kathode-Ray

Ok, great, you're welcome.

I'll keep an eye out to see how things progress and can/will do more tests if needed.

guru_rb

Hi,

I am facing EXACTLY the same problem with my 5Dmk3 as well. I am running the Nightly.2015Dec20.5D3123. Has there been any resolution to this?

regards,
Guru

guru_rb

Couldn't see any post related to the specific issue I am facing with Motion Detection and this thread was for the exact same problem, so posted here. Will post my question in 5D3 thread...