[IGNORE] Spotmeter EV difference mode (for lighting)

Started by markodarko, April 12, 2016, 09:38:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markodarko

Hi guys,

I propose that the spotmeter has a new function called "EV Difference" and how it works is as follows:

1. Meter for foreground with the spotmeter
2. Press "some button" (selectable in settings?)
3. Meter for background
4. Press same button again
5. The EV difference is displayed on the screen (e.g. "-3EV Difference" or "+1.5EV Difference")
6. The number stays on screen until "the button" is pressed once more to cancel the function.

Here's the background...

As the spotmeter goes from 0-100% (or IRE) I think of it as going from 0-11.5 stops in my mind (5D III) and therefore if I have my foreground lit at 70% it equates to approximately (11.5/100)*70 = 8.05 EV so if I want the background to be 3 stops darker I will need to light it at (8.05-3*100)/11.5 = 43.91% according to the spot meter.

That's all well and good but I can't do that math in my head ;) hence the request.

I'm guessing that for this to work accurately, ML will either have to know the maximum EV that the camera has at a given ISO so that it can "assign" that to be 100%, or somehow figure it out? For a rough and ready solution there could just be a "Max EV Value" that the user could select from and that would probably do for most cases.

Does this make sense? Thoughts are appreciated.

Cheers,

Mark.

garry23

Why not just put the spotmeter in Ev mode and do the simple maths in your head?

markodarko

Wait, there's an EV mode?!  :-[

Uh oh. OK, I maaaay have overlooked that. <slaps palm on forehead>

Thanks Garry23,

Mark.

EDIT: Yep, have just been playing with the RAW (EV) mode in the spotmeter and does exactly what I need. Can't believe I overlooked that. DOH! Thanks again.