Flocksock

Hi,

these are the specs of my current (old) PC:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
CPU:                  Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83 GHz
RAM:                 4 GB (DDR2)
graphic card:     NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT
Mainboard:        MS-7514

It is/was a "gamer PC" which i bought at ARLT.com years ago.
I want to buy some new PC.. but at the moment i could not afford one.
I know "Resolve 12" using GPU Power. Do you think its an good idea to
invest in some new Graphic Card?

Problem is. I´m a totaly hardware noob. I know nothing about "DDR3" or "GDDR5"
(i dont' know if it works on my mainboard.. or if i have to stick to "DDR2".
I have no idea about "pins" and "power suply", etc.
And i don't know if i could use my old graphic card parallel with a new one... so i get
the power from two cards. (is this possible?)

It would be cool if some "hardware-guys" can tell me if its possible to upgrade my system
with a new GPU-Card. If so. Which card should i buy for Video-Editing only. (I'm not a gamer.)
I want to spend between 100-200 Euro. I want to replace the old one.
(but maybe i can run both together.)

Any sugesstions.

Andy600

Sorry to say but it's very under-powered for Resolve.

Memory bandwidth will be a significant bottleneck and I doubt adding a new graphic card will do much to help. The problem is the motherboard.

The bottom line for HD is probably a GTX with 2gb+ and you might benefit from an SSD but it will still be VERY sluggish.

I would save up and build a new system - you should be able to build something useable for ~500 - 800 euros if you shop around. To save some money you might be able to salvage the case, drives and maybe the PSU depending on its power output - big graphics cards need a lot of power but ultimately, your real-world processing power (in terms of graphic and throughput) is only as fast as the slowest component. Your current PC should be ok for Premier but still slow for anything but very casual use. Slow = frustration.

Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Flocksock

Thanks for your answer. I was thinking.. maybe a 2GB card gives me enough power..
For 150,- Euros. I don't know. At the moment.. Resolve is running. Its slow. Sometimes a bit frustration.
But it works. AE and Premiere, too. I wish it would be a little bit faster. And i want to spend more
money later that year on a new system. (but not now)

I never upgrade an old system. I allways buy a complete new system. But because of the GPU
rendering thing... i thought maybe i could save some money and upgrade the card.

If i buy an new PC i would spend 800 - 1000 Euros.
Because i have no clue about "Video Hardware" i simple buy a "Gamer PC" every
4 years from ARLT.com. Soemthing like this:

PC - ARLT Mr. Gamer X-Treme GTX960
Intel Core i5 4690K (4x 3,5GHz), 8GB RAM, 250GB SSD, 2000GB HDD,
NVIDIA GeForce GTX960, ohne Betriebssystem, 3 Jahre Garantie

http://www.arlt.com/PC/Komplett-PCs/Gaming-PCs/Gaming-PC-ARLT-Mr-Gamer-GTX-750-Ti-II.html

I have no idea what is important.
- i7 is better than i5. And i5 is better than i3.
- and i know about SSD.
- But graphic cards... no clue.

But i heard that between i5 and i7 it doesn't make such much different.
Is there a "MUST HAVE" component, i have to check, when buying a new PC?

Andy600

More graphic memory will always help. I would try to get a card with 4gb with GDDR5 memory if you can because it will still be good for your next system. The 960 is ok - but your CPU cores and memory bandwidth will restrict what you can achieve.

To run Resolve properly and see accurate color you need a second monitor, preferably a calibrated reference monitor (expensive) and also something like a Blackmagic Minimonitor card to run it. The Resolve GUI display is not calibrated so you can't really trust it. Without a second monitor it's technically possible to get an idea of the actual color if you know how to use scopes but that won't help much when grading.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Flocksock

I've got an "EIZO Flexscan S1931" Monitor. And i love this Monitor. But its not HD.
So I need an update for my monitor, too.

Full HD / 2k or 1080p is fine. Don't need 3k or 4k, or ultrawide.
Size is not that important. i WANT good colors. I want to see
blacks as blacks, and 99% grey as 99% grey.

But i don't want to spend so much money again for an EIZO.
Maybe some "Iiyama" Monitor. Something like this:

0,50cm (23,8") Iiyama ProLite XB2483HSU-B2 TFT Monitor for 200,- Euros
http://www.arlt.com/Hardware/Monitore-Beamer/60-50cm-23-8-Iiyama-ProLite-XB2483HSU-B2-TFT-Monitor.html

Or maybe this EIZO:
Eizo EV2450-BK 60 cm (23,8 Zoll) Monitor (DisplayPort, DVI-D, HDMI, D-Sub, USB 3.0, 5ms Reaktionszeit) schwarz
http://www.amazon.de/Eizo-EV2450-BK-Monitor-DisplayPort-Reaktionszeit/dp/B00NF3EMNA/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1460045847&sr=1-2-fkmr0&keywords=eizo+fullhd

Only 277,- Euros... i spend 600,- Euros for my old Eizo.

Again. I don't even know the different betwen  "IPS" and "TN",
but i will watch videos about it. I was wandering that there is no thread
about "monitors" in this forum. If i search for monitor. I only found "field monitors".
But PC Hardware is important, too. Graphic Cards and a good Monitor.
4, 5 years ago.. the monitors suck. so i HAVE to buy an EIZO, to be safe.
But now i don't want to spend that much money again. Because i think the cheaper models
are also good today. If you got any suggestions... or good sites about monitors for Videoeditors...
feel free to post it here :)

Walter Schulz

"0,50cm" ... I hope not.
www.prad.de
Looks like you already know this site: http://www.prad.de/board/monitore/kaufberatung/51408-hat-erfahrungen-iiyama-prolite-xb2483hsu-b1/

There is no need to cover common hardware issues (as in "not dependend on ML/Canon") here. There are dozens of sites doing a decent job in this matter. Field monitors and their interaction with ML/Canon is another story.

Flocksock

Did not know about prad.de - will check it out! Thanks!
(funny... that someone picked the same Iiyama Modell like i did. And got the same old EIZO. Its definitely not me)

jesser