5D Raw on a Drone!?!

Started by calebdescognets, April 06, 2016, 09:02:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

calebdescognets

I just finished editing together a short reel of my most recent work and realized that everything (besides the slow motion shots on an FS7) was shot on my 5D MKIII!  It was really fun rigging my camera to my buddy's custom octocopter to be able to shoot 5D Raw aerial footage of downtown LA and at the Trona Pinnacles in the Mojave desert.

I graded almost all my clips in after effects using ACR and exported as cineform before editing in Premiere.  Would love to get some feedback!  I've grown to like this process for converting my .raw files to editable clips but being forced to grade each clip one by one is time consuming, although dealing with ML Raw footage is always time consuming.

What's your preferred way of processing your raw clips?

Danne

Nice work. The drone shots looks really nice. Also liked the introduction a lot.
There,s a script for batching clips in AE. Don,t remember the name exactly but that would speed up your workflow. Search for it here at the forum. Combine that with MLVFS and your workflow should be even faster. DaVinci resolve (lite) is also a very good tool to work with.

DeafEyeJedi

Either SmartImport2 + AE and/or DR12 while using MLVFS are the fastest workflows afaik re: OS X.

AE renders takes longer due to a better algorithm than DR12 but you obviously like ACR so perhaps try the first suggestion.

Nice work btw and thanks for sharing @calebdescognets!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

zossboss

I love this!

I find using Davinci Resolve 12 to grade and exporting ProRes 422HQ works great for me!

BUT I would really like to know more about the Octocopter setup; live video, links, cost, etc?
You might not know, but you're buddy might know more details. I really want to convince my boss that we need one :D

Thanks in advance. Loved the footage :)