Crop mode recording (crop_rec.mo) (1:1, RAW/H.264, 25/30/50/60 fps)

Started by a1ex, April 01, 2016, 08:37:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lars Steenhoff

nice update alex!

will try it out soon, any ideas why the 1.2.3 failed?

a1ex

Discussion regarding vertical stripes moved here.

Original reply (August 24):
Quote from: a1ex
Yes, a minor merge conflict that mercurial doesn't handle automatically. The easiest fix (for me) would be to include the vertical stripe fix in the main 1.2.3 builds (otherwise I'll need to commit an extra branch just for this). I can compile it locally, but uploading the zip would take ages from my current location.

I'd say let's review the vertical stripe fix on 1.1.3, and if it's everything alright, I'll include it in the main builds (and fix the 1.2.3 crop build) soon.

Kharak

I am on holidays these days and brought this build with me for the ride. Two things i noticed is that i got black dots in 1:1 and 3x3 mode. Not sure if this is a known problem or not, i thought the black dots were only in 1:1 mode.

2nd thing i "noticed" is that 1:1 mode is extremely overexposed compared to 3x3, which to my understanding, 1:1 mode should be less sensitive to light. I had ISO 100 and manually set ettr and then I switched to 1:1 mode and everything was overexposed by around 2EV or so. It seemed like ISO 400 even though it was ISO 100. I also tried setting the ISO to 200 and back to 100 thinking, maybe its stuck at some higher iso, but same result. Now, I forgot to pack my ND filter.. So I've bern using the shutter to expose my images, i suppose the shutter might be much lower in 1:1 mode then disayed in the overlay. I think i had shutter 400 something when going in to 1:1 mode and had to put it up to almost 1000 or so to get back to my initial ettr.

Or maybe 1:1 mode is a secret low light beast, haven't tested that yet :) i reverted from the 1:1 for this vacation as i don't wanna deal with black dots in 3x3 mode aswell.
once you go raw you never go back

a1ex

Quote from: Brawl on September 04, 2016, 06:20:37 PM
Hope for the 7D version too please!

7D is unfortunately the hardest model, as it has trouble with many other features that fine-tune image parameters (even the good old FPS override and HDR video). I think it's easier to port it to a model from the same generation (550D is probably the best match), then figure out the dual digic issues.

The first step in porting this is to grab adtg_gui (see first post) and compare the 1080p and 5x video modes. There will be a lot of registers that change their values, but you only need a small subset to configure the crop mode. You need to find it by trial and error; it's very time consuming, but there's nothing to compile, just time to sit down, play with the registers, and write down your findings.

BTW, a while ago I've tried to reproduce Greg's full width LiveView on 5D3 with partial success. There is a 3K video mode preset in adtg_gui, with broken preview. You can, however, use the grayscale preview from the raw recording module. I'm publishing it in this state, maybe some of you can figure out the missing bits.

Quote from: Kharak on September 05, 2016, 11:06:19 AM
i got black dots in 1:1 and 3x3 mode.

This was a side effect of the vertical stripe fix. I'll undo that change, because it didn't really fix the vertical stripes (it only made them a little less noticeable, but you still have to fix them in postprocessing).

Quote from: Kharak on September 05, 2016, 11:06:19 AM
2nd thing i "noticed" is that 1:1 mode is extremely overexposed compared to 3x3

Probably the other side effect discussed in the vertical stripe thread (linked above). Will double-check, just in case.

I'll prepare new build with the vertical stripe fix removed (back to the good old method).

a1ex

New builds:
- 5D3 1.1.3: magiclantern-crop3x.2016Sep05.5D3113.zip (build log)
- 5D3 1.2.3: magiclantern-crop3x.2016Sep05.5D3123.zip (build log)

Changes:
- synced to main builds
- vertical stripe fix removed (no more bad pixels and digital ISO issues)
- minor status icon fix
- backend updates (patchmgr branch)

Indeed, the crop mode appears to clip highlights a bit earlier, but certainly not by 2 stops. The raw histogram shows a difference of about 0.2 ... 0.3 EV on a blank wall.

Lars Steenhoff

thanks alex I will install on the 5d3 to test it out,
the one i used before gave some strange pixels indeed, glad to see that is fixed.

DeafEyeJedi

Yikes. A lot has happened while I was out on Vacation in the past few weeks. So happy to see you all contributing towards into this Project. Took the 2016Aug23 build for 5D3.113 with me and tested the shit out of it especially while on the plane flying into Chicago.

A few notes that I should point out (which have been confirmed by @Kharak) in regards to the black dots as well as the slightly overexposed while in 1:1 crop mode.

At first I thought it was me or the lens but after double checking and indeed it is slightly OE by .2 or .3 of a stop. Definitely don't think it's OE by 2.0 otherwise it would have been more noticeable.

However, still going through the test files along with the actual footage that I shot while around town (both in H.264 & MLV) and am I insane for thinking that I cannot find any vertical stripes in any of the footage shot in MLV?

I read it that @a1ex's 5D3 isn't showing anything in similar but few others have been affected? Does it mean it may come down to when was the body produced by Canon's factory (newer models versus old?) or what could be the culprit in here?

Ideally I would like to produce it on my end so that way I can test this with the new mlv_dump and whatnot. Also will share my findings/results when I complete this footage together.

Thanks again @a1ex as well as everyone else on board for pushing this particular project forward.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Kharak

Maybe 2 ev was a bit extreme ;) but i was exposing for the sky and a mountain, and more or less everything blew out.

Look forward to try out the new build, when i get access to a computer and sd card reader.

GutterPump

Quote from: a1ex on September 05, 2016, 10:10:49 PM
New builds:
- 5D3 1.1.3: magiclantern-crop3x.2016Sep05.5D3113.zip (build log)
- 5D3 1.2.3: magiclantern-crop3x.2016Sep05.5D3123.zip (build log)

Changes:
- synced to main builds
- vertical stripe fix removed (no more bad pixels and digital ISO issues)
- minor status icon fix
- backend updates (patchmgr branch)

Indeed, the crop mode appears to clip highlights a bit earlier, but certainly not by 2 stops. The raw histogram shows a difference of about 0.2 ... 0.3 EV on a blank wall.

This new build + new version of mlv_dump is the perfect combinaison, i just did some tests.

Thanks you Alex for your work.  :)

axelcine

Running around with only a few lenses - crop mode does the rest. And when it's time to take out the long lens - WOW! What a tool to have beside the other very important improvements, ML makes to a camera, that is in itself top-o'-the-class. I would SO like for the Canon engineers to appreciate, that we're not cannibalizing the 1-series, but are taking the excellent 5DIII to perform and show all the potential, Canon built into it. If I knew of ML-users in central Jutland in Denmark (Aarhus-area) we'd be drinking champagne and toasting A1ex - again!
EOS RP, 5dIII.113/Batt.grip, 5dIII.123, 700d/Batt.Grip/VF4 viewfinder + a truckload of new and older Canon L, Sigma and Tamron glass

Danne

Fully agree. I have filmed some of my finest moments in nature with crop mode. Sharpness and quality when working with high quality glass is top notch.

Quentin

I use latest Crop Build. The Auto ETTR although it works, it appears in "ghost mode". The menu item is not highlighted as before.

a1ex

What error message do you get at the bottom of the screen?

(when a menu is grayed out, it always prints the reason on the help area)

Quentin

Kharak

The highlight clipping in Crop Mode, is this something that will persist or are you working on a fix, Alex?

And do you know why? Is it digital or analog boost?

a1ex

I expect this to be solved once I'll finish the CMOS ISO tweaks. I want to do that before the 5D4 port, and already made some progress (check the iso-research commits).

Kharak

JADURCA

Quote from: a1ex on September 17, 2016, 03:23:28 PM
I expect this to be solved once I'll finish the CMOS ISO tweaks. I want to do that before the 5D4 port, and already made some progress (check the iso-research commits).

Did I just read, "...before the 5D4 port..."?  :o

yanki

is it possible to use 3x crop without raw video? (3x crop in h264?)

Lars Steenhoff

I have tested the crop mode on the canon 5d mark 3 and i'm really happy with it.

The only thing I would like to change is the button to activate it.

Now I have to go in the menu and press play two times, and it activated my mlv playback in the camera at the same time.

Then I have to go out of playback mode again.

For example the depth of field preview button could work for me. Or the * button