Crop mode recording (crop_rec.mo) (1:1, RAW/H.264, 25/30/50/60 fps)

Started by a1ex, April 01, 2016, 08:37:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

_OLLE_

DeafEyeJedi

Not yet AFAIK. I'm waiting for this one to be implemented as well. However, you can still use "crop-mode" in 24p/30p by pressing the magnified glass button once which will give you at least a proper framing while using a Greyed out liveview LCD (not pretty) but the final result from RAW is still priceless. Maybe you have tried it already but not doable for our kind of work, right?
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

_OLLE_

Yes, I have tried it! If it will work for 7d some day, how many sec do you think it will be possible to record @60fps 2,5k with 7D? Not very long i guess hehe!

Quentin

Since 2/4/2016 I use the crop version of ML for 5dmk3 1.1.3

I was shooting lately and because my prime lens wasnt close enough, I used the traditional crop recording.
I noticed that it recorded 30FPS rather than 25FPS.
Is it a bug ?

beauchampy

Quote from: Quentin on June 08, 2016, 10:30:48 AM
Since 2/4/2016 I use the crop version of ML for 5dmk3 1.1.3

I was shooting lately and because my prime lens wasnt close enough, I used the traditional crop recording.
I noticed that it recorded 30FPS rather than 25FPS.
Is it a bug ?

It does that for me too.. I have to use FPS override to correct.

GutterPump

Do you know if the new 3X crop mod will officialy be implemented in new builds ?

I check everyday if the a new build is ready with this new mod  :) i can't record without now.

Levas

About the 30fps in crop mode:

The moment you use the magnify button and have a zoomed liveview, the fps goes to 30 fps, even if you're in PAL or 24fps mode.
It's how canon reads out the sensor at default, you need fps override to correct to 24 or 25, even in PAL mode.

Lars Steenhoff

GutterPump

To avoid pink frame, it's advisable not to use some options in "global draw" like "focus peaking", and be carefull with FPS override.

But i never get pink frame's problem with this special crop build. It work like a charm.

Quentin

About the 30FPS

I assume that some things are beyond control, guessing, trial and error.
Its a bitch to remember to disable/enable something when entering a mode.
Most of the times I shoot solo, doing things for 5-6 people. Its very tiring and very slow moving.

peterjohnjoseph

Sorry if this is an awful question, but what is the difference between shooting with the 3x Crop Mode in this build (when using the 1x1 binning mode), and the regular Crop Mode using the 5x button, which, for me, would achieve a 3x zoom in playback?  I'm using a 5d Mark III with the April 02 build in this post.

To my understanding when using the standard "Crop Mode", it also creates a 3x zoom when clicking the 5x zoom button, allows you to shoot in resolutions above 1920x1080, but also has the caveat of a slow, grayed screen, or being forced to record with incorrect composition that stays at 5x while recording.

Am I correct in saying that this is more or less the main tradeoff? The ability to shoot in higher resolutions vs. the ability to get full color correct compositions?

To make sure I'm on the same page, when using this build, turning on the 3x Crop Mode at 1x1 binning, and shooting at 1920x1080 I get accurate composition in full color, and the same size recorded image as if I were using the standard Crop Mode with the 5x zoom button instead. When using the 5x zoom crop mode, it allows me to use resolutions higher than 1920x1080, however doing it this way also means a slow and grayed screen, even at 1920x1080, or a poorly composed image if I were to use the Canon previews that stays incorrectly zoomed to 5x while recording. So would I be correct in saying this is the main difference?

My other questions would be-
-Is there a way to achieve resolutions above 1920x1080 with this build using the 3x Crop Mode with 1x1 binning?
-Am I missing a way when using the standard Crop Mode with the 5x zoom button to a achieve color previews with correct composition?
-Is there anything else that I seem to be misunderstanding, such as the difference between using these two methods?

budafilms

axelcine

I wonder if crop mode for5d3 is progressing. We've been very happy with the April miracle from a1ex, but I'm wondering if we could persuade him to add the crop wonder to a more recent build of ML,since ML has been improved on a great many areas since April. I feel, that the crop mode for 5d3 was added at a price - some existing functionality being scuttled in order to make the crop mode work. It might be interesting to know a little more about this. The cropping facility is highly appreciated in our 650's and 700's and would be a marvel for 5d and others as well. Hopefully I'm not "throlling..."
EOS RP, 5dIII.113/Batt.grip, 5dIII.123, 700d/Batt.Grip/VF4 viewfinder + a truckload of new and older Canon L, Sigma and Tamron glass

GutterPump

I asked myself the same question, but I think Alex is waiting to learn more with tests to be able to implement it in a stable release.

I personally use continually this mod without any problems.

axelcine

@GutterPump - I'm happy with the April miracle as well - no doubt about that - but I felt, that the problem implementing the crop mode was more than a little trivial, so... But just like you  I'm sure we'll get a status report as soon as there is something to tell.
EOS RP, 5dIII.113/Batt.grip, 5dIII.123, 700d/Batt.Grip/VF4 viewfinder + a truckload of new and older Canon L, Sigma and Tamron glass

dmilligan

Quote from: axelcine on July 27, 2016, 03:08:32 PM
It might be interesting to know a little more about this.

The crop mode feature works by changing CMOS registers (a register is simply a memory address that we can set to some value and that value will control some aspect of some external piece of hardware, for example an LED). Normally this is a very simple thing to do in an embedded system. Just set the memory address to the value you want (1 line of C code, or a simple command or two in assembly). However, in our situation, we (ML code) are fighting with Canon firmware. Canon firmware is constantly re-configuring and overwriting all kinds of registers. Therefore, to get the value we want into the register (and get it to stay there and not be overwritten), we have to modify the behavior of Canon firmware. We refer to this behavior modification as 'patching'.  It can be very tricky to get right, because we don't want to actually permanently modify the Canon firmware in ROM (that would be very dangerous). So instead, we exploit some hardware known as a "cache" and use it in a way it was not really intended to be used, that is, to fake the CPU into thinking it's reading from Canon firmware ROM, when in reality it's reading from some value we control.

For a long time even before this particular feature was implemented, a1ex had been working on a nice new "backend" for applying and managing our patches that would be easier to use and monitor, and it would be "safer" and more efficient. (There may be situations where we only need to patch something that is in RAM not ROM, e.g. dual ISO, which is much easier b/c we can do it directly without worrying about permanently overwriting anything, but the new backend will handle both for us nicely in a unified way). Like the memory backend, or raw backend, this is one of those "under the hood" features that most users aren't aware of exists, but consumes probably a majority of development effort, and on which many important "user-facing" features actually depend on. These "backends" basically encapsulate the knowledge we learn from reverse engineering and how to get Canon firmware to do what we want, and present an nice, easy to use API to the developer. They are the foundation on which the rest of ML is built.

Since the crop mode feature needs to be able to override registers (and do so very fast and efficiently), it was built upon the new patch manager backend. However, the patch manager itself isn't quite ready for prime time (at least not on all cameras, for example on 60D it doesn't work at all). There are many other things that ML does that require patching Canon firmware, even the extremely complicated process of booting up.

TLDR:
This is a relatively small and simple feature by itself, but it depends on a large change to the foundation of ML. It's the foundation change that is holding it back.

Once the new patch manager is completed and confirmed to be working well (which is very important in this case, since it's at such a low level, and has the potential to effect so many things) it will be merged, and features like this one, and other similar ones in the pipe, will be trivial to complete and merge.

axelcine

Thanks, dmilligan, an excellent and very deep explanation, that only widens the respect and admiration we have for you guys - I  K N E W  there had to be some very intriguing stuff going on when a1ex released the April Miracles. At the same time I understand, that once the Canon firmware is respectfully tamed, crop mode will be one of a whole new range of possibilities. Wow.

PabloW

Would this allow you to use EF-S lenses on a full frame sensor like the 5D's?

Danne

PabloW

It would have to be with an adapter. But I was asking if it could be done in theory. Sorry for not being clear.

DeafEyeJedi

5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

tecgen

Canon 5D Mark II, 50D, 550D/Rebel T2i, EF 40mm f/2.8 STM, Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8, EF 85 f1.8, EF 135 f2.8 SF, Zoom H2n

a1ex

New builds:
- 5D3 1.1.3: magiclantern-crop3x.2016Aug23.5D3113.zip (build log)
- 5D3 1.2.3: magiclantern-crop3x.2016Aug23.5D3123.zip (build log) (build fails...)

Changes:
- synced to main builds
- fix for the famous bug that nobody managed to find so far (yet, extremely easy to trigger)
- status icon
- also works in photo mode (either as mild zoom, or for silent pictures)
- experimental fix for vertical stripes, to be tested in both crop and regular raw video modes (no effect on H.264)

Please note the builds are pretty much untested, so you should probably wait for feedback from early testers before upgrading.

Danne

GutterPump