Canon 5D Mark II RAW video - stops after 5 sec

Started by Aeidxst, March 31, 2016, 12:42:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aeidxst

Alright, so I'm fairly new when it comes to ML but I'm not retarded.

With my old card (SanDisk 8GB 30MB/s) I was able to record about 5 seconds of the highest possible RAW resolution in 24 fps. Yesterday I bought myself a Lexar 32 GB 1066x 150MB/s CF card and I decided to try again. Next thing you know, it still only records for ~5 seconds max. The overlay when recording says it's writing 25MB/s though, so I'm guessing either there's something wrong with my Mark II or with the CF card. Or is it something that has to do with the ML settings? The only thing I did was turn on raw_rec, and later turn on RAW video with the desired resolution.

I already tried recording a few times to 'warm up' the card, I already tried the 'Card Warm Up' function, and I already tried mlv_rec, and none of those worked. Still 5 seconds max. recording.

I also performed a benchmark to give you guys some additional info:

I really need this fixed, as I'm having a very important shoot this weekend. Hope to hear from you soon.

Walter Schulz

Benchmark shows "Lexar" card? Then: Most likely a faked card. Test transfer rate with a decent USB 3.0 cardreader with UDMA-7 support. Return to sender and demand refund or replacement.

Aeidxst

Where can I see that (where benchmark would show 'Lexar')?

Walter Schulz

Delete BENCH*.* in card root and run benchmark using your Lexar card. Press Play button after starting benchmark run.

Aeidxst

Which benchmark do I run? Just the top one? The Card R/W benchmark (5 min)? And then press the 'play' button afterwards?

Because if I do so, I can't see the word 'card' anywhere. The only thing I see when doing this is:

EDIT: And it takes over 20 minutes to complete.

EDIT 2: And these are the results.

What to do?

Walter Schulz

If this is the result using your Lexar card: Contact reseller and ask about refund or replacement. This card is faked.

Aeidxst

Yeah, it is definitely the card. I just borrowed someone else's card that has 60MB/s and it worked for 20+ seconds.

A few questions left:

What should I go for? RAW or MLV? I'm getting myself a (or two) 64GB SanDisk for the shoot, so memory/write speed won't be a problem.

and

Sometimes it shows '1ms idle' or '2ms idle' while recording, next to the write speed. What does that mean?