Buy a 7d? slow motion?

Started by _OLLE_, March 29, 2016, 05:34:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Schulz

Mode is shown in third line on benchmark screen.
Card looks good.

I think my cam shows some inconsistent benchmark results in video mode after messing with video settings and some recordings. Not yet ready for bug reporting, though.

Not sure how to make 47s happen for your cam.
Suggestion: Clean up card, disable audio recording (Canon menu) and retry.

andy kh

#olle u wil regret buying 7D for shooting slomo
5D Mark III - 70D

_OLLE_

@andy kh No but it would be nice to get 14 sec 2,5k!

With canon sound off I get 44 sec @60fps but still just 10sec 2,5k

Walter Schulz

Well, I get 101 s @60 and 14 s with 2.5k (Canon setting 1920x1080@24 and 1920x1080@25)

_OLLE_

strange!  >:(  Do you know if there is other benchmark tests with Sandsik extreme pro and 7d here on the forum?

PaulHarwood856

Hey _OLLE_,

I apologize for misinforming you and everyone else about flat picture profiles reducing moire and aliasing. I had seen this in a video (don't remember which one it was off the top of my head), and thought it was true based on experience, but I must be wrong as stated here.

The VAF-7D and VAF-TXI are great though.

When shooting raw video I did get some aliasing on a small video I made with a friend. If you would like to see the aliasing for comparison even with the filter,  here is the link: https://vimeo.com/171036895

I did use fps override for a couple shots which resulted in greater aliasing.

Although I still need to do more testing, 60 fps on the 7D looks nice. It does suffer from moire, but when I upload some shots in the future I can show how the VAF-7D did with 720p even with moire issues. I haven't processed the video yet.

There is one shot of a water sprinkler in a pond in the video I linked. This was 3x crop mode with the VAF-7D at 60 fps (I don't remember the resolution). Make sure not to do that. The quality suffers terribly.

I plan to use Twixtor with 60 fps ML Raw when I edit it. I know some people don't like the 7D with 60 fps, but maybe the software will improve it after editing.

I hope this helps, and again, sorry for misinforming you. I read that you were disappointed with the 7D. I feel bad you are, sorry if I let you down.

- Paul Harwood

I hope this helps you.

VMS-studio

My issues with slo-motion and the two cents.

These cameras shoot 60fps and with lower res mainly. 60FPS is too little for a good slo-mo.

My two cents are get an iPhone :D iPhone 5s shoots with a 120fps and iPhone 6 and above shoots 240fps.

I shoot with 240fps and then I can slow it down even further with The Foundry's Kronos plugin in After Effects.

The only thing is, the lens won't match, but you get artifact-free slow mo (especially if you don't work on it in the post)

PaulHarwood856

Hey VMS-studio,

This is great information, thank you. Unfortunately The Foundry's Kronos plugin for AE is no longer available, since September 2015. This is a bummer because it seems it works well with Cuda. I currently use Twixtor, which is great. I find Twixtor works well for 60 fps footage. It is possible to shoot 60 fps Raw Video with the 7D, and I think it looks pretty good. I have the iPhone 6S Plus. Great camera, but I still am in love with the 7D and it's extended capabilities thanks to the Magic Lantern team. There is a way to attach Canon lenses to iPhones, but there is a sacrifice in quality unfortunately. The 6S Plus has in body image stabilization which is a nice plus.

- Paul Harwood