I need serious HELP in HDR processing!

Started by albezar, July 26, 2012, 10:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

albezar

Hi there!

Please give me simple guide on how to enfuse the images I just took on my 5D MKII using the hdr bracketing feature. I only see the raw files and some script files on my CF card!! PLEASE HELP ME!!  :'(

Thanks!

sutobe

do you have any software like Adobe Lightroom, Photoshop and Photomatix? (so any piece of software that can process RAW files)

there are several ways......
Canon EOS 550D / Canon EF-S 10-22mm 1:3,5-4,5 USM / Canon EF-S 18-55 mm 3.5-5.6 IS / Canon EF-S 55-250mm 4,0-5,6 IS II / Canon EF 50mm 1:1.8 II / Canon Speedlite 430EX II

albezar

Thanks for replying so fast!
Well.. of course I know how enfuse images in a software. I use normally a plugin in Lightroom 4. But what is the point of having an HDR feature in a camera if you can't take out the hdr image!!?? I might as well do it my old way of taking multiple exposures and blend them in Lightroom or Photomatix. But I want to use the IN CAMERA HDR. :)
Or do I have to buy 5D MK3 to do that??? I though this Magic Lantern can do it with MK2 as well ----> ?!  :o

Please.. someone.. give me something I don't know. ;)

sutobe

nope thats not what ML does with the HDR function

its just an easier way to shoot a series of pictures which you have to edit as usual with the software you have.

ML HDR lets you decide what kind of exposure steps you want and what kind of aperture.

I use ISO 100, in most situations shooting in AV mode is enough, but if you're expecting exposure times longer than your camera can do (my 550d can expose 30 seconds max) you might switch to Bulb mode. I dont know the 5D so maybe theres an extra mode for it.

in HDR AUTO mode, ML then decides how many pictures should be taken and how long the exposure has to be. mostly it works good, there's at least one very overexposed shot when its done, usually the last one, sometimes I don't use it beceause you can't see any details.

its a way quicker way than setting up your camera for bracketing by hand + it enables automaticly the 2 second trigger timer which you would also have to activate by yourself.

I dont use Canon bracketing anymore.

For preview you can hold the SET button in playmode and use the wheel to join the pictures together for a kind of HDR preview but thats just nice to have. (read manual)

thats a HDR I made without thinking alot, turned out quite nice I guess. had to drop the car with photoshop because it sits on stock springs

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/412475_10151052321904648_1956608954_o.jpg

If you're looking for ML making your pics an HDR by itself, I have to disapoint you....but its up to you how you think your HDR should look like, isnt it ? ;-)

Canon EOS 550D / Canon EF-S 10-22mm 1:3,5-4,5 USM / Canon EF-S 18-55 mm 3.5-5.6 IS / Canon EF-S 55-250mm 4,0-5,6 IS II / Canon EF 50mm 1:1.8 II / Canon Speedlite 430EX II

albezar

Hi Sutobe!

Thanks for clearing things.
However there is a post on this matter in the forums, and the guy wrote the text below. If I'm not mistaken, it means that through the terminal you can process the images by using the script ML puts in the memory card. I tried this but it didn't work for me. :/ I got some errors. What do you say about this?!

And what does the script do me any good? I don't understand it. :O This is what I got when taking three exposures with HDR function.
Nice photo you got there by the way.

#!/usr/bin/env bash

# HDR_9150.JPG from IMG_9150.JPG ... IMG_9152.JPG with aligning first

align_image_stack -m -a HDR_AIS_9150 IMG_9150.JPG IMG_9151.JPG IMG_9152.JPG
enfuse "$@"  --output=HDR_9150.JPG HDR_AIS_9150*
rm HDR_AIS_9150*

FAQ Why you have to post-process files with ML?
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 03:57:43 am »
Hi,
to launch the script you must use Terminal
open it from /Applications/Utility you will se a window with some text
now from finder go to you card into the DCIM/10*CANON folder with the script you want to start (keep both windows visible)
then write in the Terminal window:
Code: [Select]

cd

with a space, and drag the folder
you will see the address of the folder like:

cd /Volumes/EOS_DIGITAL/DCIM/100CANON/

press enter and write:

bash

with a space, drag the script and press enter
the script will start converting the pics but remember that it support only jpg for now.
MLTools will do all this automatically when ready.

sutobe

ok I though you were just refering to the plain ML HDR thing, I never tried to run any script (has to learn alot of othe rthings first lol)

KarateBrot

You need the software "Enfuse" for the script to work. I am using EnfuseGUI
If you donate a RED EPIC to me you officially are very cool ;)

scrax

you need to post the errors you get, and which system are you using?
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

albezar

The EnfuseGUI does not work! It crashes every time when I move raw files or the folder containing them into the program.  :-\
There is no manual or guide on how this  crashing program works. An what will I do with SCRIPT?!
Do you guys mean that I don't need to use the TERMINAL like I posted previously??

Please try to be more specific or I will ask more questions. :)

albezar

I will try to make myself more clear, so that someone can give me clear answers.

I have the ML in my camera. It allows to do HDR photos. I can preview them in my camera. ..and now the big question:
*** How can I see the same HDR photos I'm seeing in my camera, in my computer? What do I do with raw files (3 exposures) and the script file in memory card??***

Any guides or help is HIGHLY appreciated!  ;)

scrax

ML allows to take normal pic with different exposure for the same scene, they are not HDR image, ML can combine them to show an HDR image but it's only a preview, not a finished file.
The script will use enfuse to merge the pic in an HDR image on PC, if you shoot RAW the script will not work until those raw are previously converted to jpg.

So you need to convert them to jpg, same name, same folder and then run the script from terminal, probably.
If you post the errors you get when launching the script you could have a more precise help.
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

albezar

Thanks!
So they need to be jpeg. I will try that and comment back. :)

albezar

So I tried it with jpegs. I got this same message via terminal. what does this mean? Am I doing something wrong??

MikMac:~ albezar$ cd /Volumes/EOS_DIGITAL/DCIM/100EOS5D
MikMac:100EOS5D albezar$ bash /Volumes/EOS_DIGITAL/DCIM/100EOS5D/HDR_9159.sh
/Volumes/EOS_DIGITAL/DCIM/100EOS5D/HDR_9159.sh: line 5: align_image_stack: command not found
/Volumes/EOS_DIGITAL/DCIM/100EOS5D/HDR_9159.sh: line 6: enfuse: command not found
rm: HDR_AIS_9159*: No such file or directory
MikMac:100EOS5D albezar$

Edwarda

I just signed up on this forum and purchased a 50D to use ML for HDR photos. I have tried HDRs using my 30D but was hoping for a quicker process. I also read about script processing using Enfuse to speed things along. I went to the Enfuse site and did not find any information on running script. At least not a beginner tutorial. Does anyone know of a site or want to post instructions on how to process HDR images using Enfuse for HDR photo work. I have not started using ML until I understand what I should do. A YouTube video would be great if know of one or want to creat it. All I found were on HDR video.

So to clarify, do any have a guide for using ML files with Enfuse to process HDR.

Thanks

garry23

For Edwarda and others, here is my humble take on HDR and ML.

First let me say I have a CHDKed G11 and a S95 and, of course, a MLed D50. I can honestly say the latest ML (RC2.3) is an incredible addition to the 50D (and the other cameras ML works on). My interests are HDR and hence the addition of CHDK and ML, which allows extended bracketing, which is the cornerstone of the HDR process, takes me to a great place, where I can focus (pun) on composition and not worry about bracketing.

I would also say that ML2.3 takes bracketing to where it is now nearly a perfect in-camera process. Why do I say this, because without the ML AutoHDR feature you need to first work out the number of brackets to cover the scene. I could go with the 50D default brackets (three) and hope I capture the range. I could also measure the range (with a spot meter, say) and calculate the number of brackets and manually adjust the camera to capture additional AEB triplets. Or I could use some technology, like, Promote Remote (which I do with a spot meter, but this cost money!).

With AutoHDR in ML you can travel light (with your light travel carbon-fibre tripod) and know you will be able to capture the required number if images for the dynamics of the scene. It simply is the best thing that has happened to still photographers who can access ML.
Second, I would suggest you not 'waste time' and try to Enfuse in camera. You could, but why? It is like having a Ferrari and using it to tow a caravan. That is use ML for what it is really good at, ie to help you capture the brackets that you will later post process on your computer. With a camera in your hand (on a tripod) focus (that pun again) on capturing images, not processing images.

I do use Enfuse, also Photomatix and HDR Efex Pro. I access all these through Ligthroom 4.1. I would suggest to anyone wishing to explore HDR, first get LR4.1 running on their computer. I say this recognising the Apple folk could go the Aperture route. However, LR works better for me, as an HDR biased photographer, as it not only allows you to have a fully-in-LR  Enfuse plugin , not only does it seamlessly interface with HDR Efex Pro and Photomatix, but, and this is the clincher, it allows you to process 32-bit TIFFs. So, with Photomatix you have the ability to 'merge' your brackets into a 32-bit TIFF and post process this 32-bit TIFF in LR with all the LR capability.

Bottom line: everyone needs to find their own workflow. Mine is to use ML to capture my brackets (most of the time now using AutoHDR setting), then ingest them into LR, then carry out base corrections (eg WB, although the ML scene-based WB capability is a great help), export these brackets to Photomatix (say), create a 32-bit TIFF (that automatically gets imported into LR through a watched folder), process the HDR in Photomatix (if I want to), reimport (auto process) back into LR as a 16-bit (sic) TIFF for further post processing. In other words, using this workflow, I end up with a 16 and 32 bit TIFF file to further post process in LR.

Cheers

Garry