6D Corrupt SD Cards

Started by tomwinget, March 24, 2016, 09:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomwinget

Hey,

I've had 3 SD cards go corrupt after updating to 1.1.6 and pulling the latest nightly build. After removing ML as best I could, it appears not to be happening.
Has anybody else experienced this/is there a fix? If not, I'll try to submit a formal bug report.

Thanks!

Walter Schulz

You can get card corruption if you don't wait some time after opening card compartment before ejecting card. Can you exclude this?

tomwinget

Yes, I always wait until after the light is done flashing and only remove the card when the camera is completely off. The corruption was happening while the camera was on but hadn't been shot for maybe 20 mins.

Walter Schulz

There might be some misunderstanding. If you open the card slot (no matter if the cam is off or not and no matter if last shot has been hours before) the cam will access the card. If you don't wait some time between card compartment opening and card removal there is a chance your card gets corrupted. Card won't get accessed if battery is removed, though.

tomwinget

No I understand that. Which is why, even when the camera is off, the lights flash to show that it is accessing the card. I was saying that regardless of whether or not the camera is off (though I always pull the card with the camera "off"), I wait until the lights are done flashing to pull the card. And besides, the card is never corrupted after pulling the card, copying or formatting it. It corrupts while it is being used in the camera.

Frank7D

Not to be dense, but what symptoms are you seeing to let you know there is corruption?

tomwinget

Not dense at all, I never specified. The camera says it can no longer recognize the card, and if I put it in a computer then it says the disk is unrecognizable. I can reformat it just fine and all my photos are still there, it seems like it is removing some information that says what format the disk should be. Hope that is more useful.

Tyronetheterrible

As a matter of fact, I have actually been experiencing this with all of my SD cards since updating to the "Feb 28, 2016 1.1.6" build. If you are using a Mac, does it give you the option to "Initialize" when you insert the SD card? I have been able to restore my MLV files by selecting this, and selecting "Repair Disk" in the Disk Utility program.

tomwinget

Interesting, glad to hear I'm not the only one. I have been using a command line tool called photorec that does a really good job of recovering files but I'll try that initialize trick next time I get a chance.