Auto bulb ramping test and questions.

Started by jimbr549, July 26, 2012, 07:02:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbr549

I did my first bulb ramping test with the new features of 2.3 last evening.  Canon 60D, fw 1.1.1, MF Nikon 28mm f/2, interval of 10 secs.

Settings were:

Auto ExpoRamp: Sunset
MAX Rampspeed: 0.001 EV/shot

Started off with a ND filter witch I removed at :13, you can see the color shift.  I had to toss 3 images, but ML recovered very well.

Here is the video:

Here is a cropped video of the sky:

Lastly, here is the log file:

http://ftp.jimbaileyphoto.com/filechute/BRAMP04.zip

Still quite a bit of flicker, something strange happens at image 4628.  The exposure gets longer/shorter/longer. etc.  That should not happen with sunset setting, correct?

I made some mistakes here:  removed the ND filter much to soon, causing the camera to use fast shutter speeds, resulting in flicker.  Not sure if I set ML up to fail as I don't fully understand the MAX Ramp speed setting, and I'm not sure if I used the correct percentile for metering.  Looking at the log file, I think I used 67th...?

I intend to try again this evening, weather permitting.  Any tips appreciated, any questions gladly answered.

JB

a1ex

Recommended ramp speed: 0.05 EV/shot - your log shows 0.1. As long as the ramp is a bit beyond the metered value, flicker should be filtered pretty well.

Try MSU deflicker.

jimbr549

Thanks, A1ex, I'll post to this thread as I work my way through this process.

JB