Problem with slow-motion conforming

Started by mahmutakay, March 25, 2016, 07:38:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahmutakay

Hi guys,

I've always shot 50fps with my 5D Mark III + Magic Lantern and the conformed it via Cinema Tools to 25fps (or 23.98) for slow motion.

For some weird reason it isn't working this time round. Cinema Tools keeps giving me a 'skipped' response. I've tried exporting the clips with both ProRes 4444 and ProRes 442 via DaVinci.

The strange thing is, sometimes when I film in 50fps, it directly comes out as 25fps in slow motion without even needing to conform it. I'm not sure if this is because of a bug with ML or if changing the shutter from 100 to 125 wields different results.

Any other ideas on how I can conform it to 25fps for slow motion?

Cheers!

dfort

Quote from: mahmutakay on March 25, 2016, 07:38:22 PM
For some weird reason it isn't working this time round. Cinema Tools keeps giving me a 'skipped' response.

I actually beta tested Cinema Tools back in the day. Is it still around or is this from an old version of FCP? The way that Cinema Tools changes speed is simply by modifying the metadata. That's why it is so fast. Just wondering if anyone tried doing this with exiftool?

More information is needed to help you out. I suppose you're shooting H.264, right? And you're exporting to ProRes before or after running them through Cinema Tools?

Some editing systems will change the speed of the clip to the project timebase when importing or cutting into the timeline. I'm not sure but I believe this is how DaVinci Resolve works. Other systems like FCP and Premiere keep the clip's original speed but can adjust the speed once imported.

mahmutakay

Hi there dfort,

Thanks for your response. I shot in RAW mode (not MLV rec). So I had to convert the RAW to DNG and then to MOV ProRes (via DaVinci). I ran it in Cinema Tools after exporting it to ProRes since I can't run DNGs in Cinema Tools.

I haven't tried exiftool, perhaps I can try that if it conforms the same way as Cinema Tools?

FCP 7 definitely doesn't do it well, it wielded pretty poor results. I know Premiere Pro has an option to re-interpret the footage, though I haven't got access to it unfortunately.

dfort

You might try this for DNG files:

exiftool -FrameRate=24 YourFile.dng

Of course you'll want to do this to all the dng files in a directory so it would be more like:

for file in /dir/*
do
  exiftool -FrameRate=24 "$file"
done

Just checked and exiftool can't modify the QuickTime video frame rate. If you're having trouble with Cinema Tools or other Mac programs you might try HandBrake.

reddeercity

Conform with  Apple Compressor , What wrong with conforming in Resolve did you set the clip metadata ?
You Could upgrade to FCPX or get the 30 day trial , FCPX & Compressor has very goods tools for conforming/re-timing frame rate.
You can mix different frame rate on the same timeline without issue . 

FYI: Compressor will import Cdng's image sequences , but has very basic correction tools.
better to use , exr's , tiff's , dpx that are  log profile or fully corrected for ProRes file

mahmutakay

Thanks for the suggestion guys, much appreciated.

Just found that the Premiere Pro footage interpreting does the job efficiently with great results. I've chosen to finally switch over to Premiere Pro now.

beauchampy

Quote from: mahmutakay on March 25, 2016, 08:43:37 PM
Hi there dfort,

Thanks for your response. I shot in RAW mode (not MLV rec). So I had to convert the RAW to DNG and then to MOV ProRes (via DaVinci). I ran it in Cinema Tools after exporting it to ProRes since I can't run DNGs in Cinema Tools.

Why don't you just adjust the 'clip attributes' of your 50p footage in Davinci to conform it to 24/25p before rendering out to ProRes?