Exporting grade-ready ProRes files from Resolve 12 - Workflow?

Started by QuickHitRecord, March 25, 2016, 01:44:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

QuickHitRecord

Particularly with Resolve 12, I'm finding that working with Raw DNGs really chokes my computer and I cannot scrub in real-time. I'll probably have to get a new one at some point, but for now...

If I want to use MLVFS and Resolve 12 to export ProRes (HQ/4444) for editing AND grading, what can I do to give my colorist (assuming that it's someone else) the best possible starting point?

Thanks.
5DmIII | January 27 2017 Nightly Build (Firmware: 1.23) | KomputerBay 256GB CF Cards (1066x & 1200x)

baldavenger

A safe and reliable option is the Cinelog package. If you're not particularly sure of transfer functions and colour science then best avoid building your own process using Resolve Colour Management, at least until you're adept enough to know what's going on with your signal and primaries at each important stage of the workflow.
EOS 5D Mark III | EOS 600D | Canon 24-105mm f4L | Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Canon 50mm f1.4 | Samyang 14mm T3.1 | Opteka 8mm f3.5

QuickHitRecord

Thanks. It's the initial setup that really trips me up. I don't want to leave any color information on the table.

I'll bring Cinelog out of retirement. My most recent download is the "01UPGRADE" pack. Does anyone know if this is the most recent version?
5DmIII | January 27 2017 Nightly Build (Firmware: 1.23) | KomputerBay 256GB CF Cards (1066x & 1200x)

DeafEyeJedi

As I was just about to say "Cinelog-C" would be (and still is at least for me) your best friend as it has done wonders for me over the past few years and more importantly not only the editors/producers/clients are happy and it has been served me well on quick turnarounds.

And I'm afraid you'll need to log into their online bank (with ur account) and download their latest update which atm is "03UPGRADE" from their webpage.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

marekk

baldavenger & DeafEyeJedi
How to setup Davinci Resolve 12 to export cinelog prores files? (I've got the lut package)

DeafEyeJedi

First go to http://www.cinelogdcp.com/ > log into LUT Bank w your account username/password > Scroll to User Guide > Then click on the Cinelog-C for DaVinci Resolve - Quick Start Guide
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

marekk

Thanks,
.. but it's a guide for DR 11. In v12 we need to set "Color science" and then "Timeline colorspace".. As far as I understand we don't work with RCM so "Color science" should be set to "Davinci YRGB"?... But what's with Timeline colorspace ?

Andy600

Marekk - As far as I can tell the timeline colorspace doesn't have any affect on the colorspace if you are debayering to BMD Film using YRGB in V12+ so leave it unchanged. If you wanted to use RCM to create log masters you can choose:

Input: Linear
Workspace: Alexa LogC
Output: Cineon Film Log

This will give you a comparable image to doing it with the BMD Film to Cinelog-C lut. Once you have rendered you should bring the footage back into resolve and switch to YRGB to use the Cinelog look luts.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com