CaptureOne vs. Lightroom

Started by cmccullum, March 23, 2016, 06:50:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmccullum

Any of the Lightroom users here tried processing your dngs with CaptureOne by PhaseOne? Seems like everything I find has photographers saying the image quality of C1 is far superior to LR

histor

I'm not very familiar with Lightroom. Comparing CaptureOne and Adobe Camera Raw I'm sure that C1 is much more powerful. Noise removal is perfect, shadow/highlights recovery looks more natural etc. It's functionality is regularly updated. Can't say this about Adobe.
But be careful with DNG's: dng editing is a bit limited in C1 - it's always recommended to use native RAW formats.

Yes, it costs much, but 3 month trial may be a nice experience. Even more: you can install C1 v8, use it 3 months and then upgrade to v9 and get additional 3 months of trial.

cmccullum

Ahh thanks for the free trial tip!
What kind of limitations are we talking with DNGs? I'm really taken with the comparisons I've seen around between ACR and C1. I suppose I could always try it for myself, but I thought I'd bring it up here in case there are others who aren't aware

Levas

The debayering from lightroom isn't that sharp/detailed as it could be.
But it's still the easiest editor I have used  :D
But when I want more details/sharpness, I'll edit in RawTherapee, it's a free open source raw editor, where you can choose different types of debayering, AMAZE and LMMSE give me much more detail then the debayering done in lightroom.

DeafEyeJedi

Better than AE since it uses same algorithm as ACR?
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

cmccullum

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on March 26, 2016, 05:47:37 PM
Better than AE since it uses same algorithm as ACR?

Yeah I would assume so. I don't have access to my computer to check it out for myself, but all the comparisons I've seen between C1 and Lightroom (ACR) are far in favor of C1 with C1 having noticeably More fine detail and better color rendition.

I guess the problem C1 has with DNGs is that they don't contain the cameras original metadata unless the camera natively captures DNG so I don't know how that would pan out with our lovely MLVs; although, I think MLVFS preserves the metadata, but I'm not sure if this would be the same as what C1 would get from a CR2

DeafEyeJedi

I bet you AE will come out just as good as C1 if not better. Curious to see the comparisons though.

C1 is mainly for Photos afaik but should be interesting to see the differences in between.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

cmccullum

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on March 26, 2016, 07:37:49 PM
C1 is mainly for Photos afaik but should be interesting to see the differences in between.

Yeah it's a raw developer just like Lightroom. I'm gonna do some tests between AE and C1 as soon asap

Levas

Try to take RawTherapee with the tests.
From what I remember from having the trial version of C1, RawTherapee gave better results when it comes to fine detail.
In this link is my workflow, the part with micro contrast makes the fine detail even better.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=3904.msg123338#msg123338

cmccullum

I just might give it rawtherapy a shot too, but the difference (as far as I can see from online comparisons) goes beyond just fine detail. The color rendition of C1 also seems to be far superior to Lightroom/ACR. Is the same true of RT?

Levas

I like the colors of lightroom better then rawtherapee.
There's (too much) possible in rawtherapee, its difficult to get the same endresult in rawtherapee as in lightroom, that is colorwise ;D

cmccullum

If LR color rendition is superior to RT and C1 seems to be superior to LR, then it seems like C1 will be the one to go with here.

I'm really interested in finding out if anyone has used C1 to either process ML raw video, or even silent pictures DNGs or mlv>DNGs  (frsp).

Inactulux

Quote from: cmccullum on March 23, 2016, 06:50:10 PM
Any of the Lightroom users here tried processing your dngs with CaptureOne by PhaseOne? Seems like everything I find has photographers saying the image quality of C1 is far superior to LR

With proper metadata, the latest Capture One version can identify the DNGs as Canon ones and apply the adjustments just like from a RAW file. And yes, Capture One works with movies pretty well.

http://blog.phaseone.com/work-magic-on-your-movies-in-capture-one-7/