mac 2011 not enough for resolve

Started by nikki, March 23, 2016, 12:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nikki

my mac doesn't have enough to use resolve ...I also have fxpx..what's the best workflow using only fcpx???

DeafEyeJedi

5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

DeafEyeJedi

First thing first ... How are you converting your files?

Which app are you using for your Mac?
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

reddeercity

FCPX workflow : Copy your MLV's file to local drive ,  mount the MLV file with MLVFS from the virtual directory you have many choices . If you are looking for the Very best results ?
Get the Smart importer2 from the fourm as this will let you batch all raw file to Adobe/ACR .
you will need Adobe A.E./ACR plus I highly recommend , if you are a semi pro of pro to get a Log Camera Raw Profile Like  VisionLog (Free) or  Cinelog (Cost Money). You don't have too . Then Export to ProRes4444XQ which is = to the linear raw but in a mov . Then import your files to FCPX , this is also a great why to achieve you raw files , you will save about 15-20% on file size and all app will be able to read prores.

This is the exact workflow I use with the current indie movie I'm working on , and when it came to grading it a breeze .
FYI: FCPX has a De-Log function in the info panel of all files as long as you burn in the xml-side car from adobe when you make the mov.
Final note get some very good feel tool for FCPX ,  Lut loader pixelfilmstudios and there a free Coremelt package I use for level & a de-flat color tool coremeltfree

masc

What mac do you have? I have the smallest imac 2011, and Resolve 11.3 works good, with some proxy tricks also in realtime.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

nikki

...i have a mac book Pro (15-inch, Early 2011)  4gb memory and 500 gb in storage

resolve 11 basically stops working and flashes not enough GUI

what do you think I should  do?
also what proxy tricks are you using??
thanks everybody!

squig

I'd try the workflow reddeercity suggested, but proresHQ may be good enough.

masc

I use this steps: (the render cache is a kind of proxy)
http://timeinpixels.com/2014/12/improve-davinci-resolve-performance-3-steps/

4GB should be your problem using Resolve. 8GB is minimum. If you are using a macbook, also graphics could be a problem. My imac has a 512MB ATI.

Maybe the other workflow posted here is better then.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202