Err 70 on 60D (self-resolved)

Started by maxfaction, March 20, 2016, 11:40:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxfaction

This may not work for 99% of you so please don't get your hopes up. I started seeing the Err 70 message after any 2nd attempt at pressing the record video button. I couldn't figure it out at all so I just lived/suffered through projects. St. Patricks parade yesterday was the last straw, though I got through the day it was the most painstaking/embarrassing thing ever (even though I'm the only one that knew what was happening). If I was mindless enough to press the stop recording button there would be yet-another-restart-remove-battery sequence... so I just let it ride. You've guessed it, I've got lots of useless footage.

So it was time to make a go at fixing this dang thing or stop using it altogether because it was proving to be more trouble than it was worth at this point. To make long story long...

I took time work on it a few hours ago and just started noticing something about the audio-something-or-the-other on restart... it was a lead, more than what I've had prior so I followed it to the audio menu and put things as "default" as I could.

Here are my audio settings:
- Analog Gain: 23db (active, never changed)
- Digital Gain (disabled, never used)
- Mic Power (disabled, didn't deactivate)
- Headphone Mon (disabled, previously activated - tested separately, turning it off didn't stop the Err 70)
- Headphone Volume (disabled, automatically enabled/disabled depending on status of the Headphone Monitor)
- Speaker Volume: 3 (active, never changed)
- Beep, test tones (DISABLED!!!, previously activated to confirm start-record/stop-record button was pressed)

The last feature I turned off was the "Beep, test tones" which I REALLY LOVE because it confirms that I hit the record button. I have cropmarks active and have stopped and restarted the video 15 times with not a single Err 70 popping up to show its ugly face. Just finished 2 auto restarts and its still going with no issues. I hope this helps someone!

UPDATE: The setting that enables the Start/Stop beep noise is actually under: Movie > Movie Tweaks > REC/STBY notify > Beep, start/stop. At the time of writing this, that feature was still enabled but I will update it FROM "Beep, start/stop" to "REC/STBY" so there's a visual indicator of the recording status since I can't get the benefit of the beep option (explained above).

P.S. The insight of this community and the tireless work of the developers have helped me plenty in the past so I thought I'd contribute this in hopes that it will help someone else have an easier time with Magic Lantern.

a1ex

This should be actually a bug report.

The interesting part: this feature was around for many years, and this is the first report about it causing crashes. What conclusion should I draw?

I'm thinking to remove the feature, since there are other recording notifications that can't crash that easily.