Position adjustable histogram/waveform

Started by swopiv, July 26, 2012, 02:42:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swopiv

Hello,
I saw this picture on a blog post reviewing the new ML release:

Note the histogram and waveform below the info bar, rather than on the image.  I wonder if this is something possible only on the 5D, or if the histogram/waveform position can be customised.

On this image, there is a lot of wasted black space below the cropmarks.

Maybe something like this could be possible:

Or even:

With seperate Luma and RGB histograms.  (apologies for the quick and dirty photoshopping ;) )

It isn't really a request as such, more a pondering; so far I have never encountered a situation where the histogram got in the way.  I just saw that 5D picture and it got me wondering.  Could any other useful info be added above the current info bar apart from histograms?

a1ex

The 5D has a 4:3 screen, so it had space for those at the bottom.

On 3:2 cameras, it might be possible in future to shift the image up and compact the two 16:9 bars - that will make 75 pixels available at the bottom.

Cinemascope layout is also something not fully exploited yet.

AriLG

Maybe you can put black bars, as IF it is Cinescope (for 16:9 users) ? then, the windows won't conceal the frame (temporarily)
T3i (main), T2i
------------------
It's not about accuracy,  it's about Aesthetics

Stu Mannion

Can anyone tell me what the graph on the right hand side of this picture is and how to turn it off? It seems like a focus or bitrate over time thing.
It's on my 5D but I don't need it. Can't find any reference to it anywhere.

Thanks for your help!

Leigho

Cinemascope is tough for 5DMKII video. It would be great if the internal video size could be changed to get proper cinemascope.

The way I calculated it, using an external recorder and cropping the top and bottom to a 2.35:1 ratio, the largest frame possible is 1620:689. That's pretty small.

Internal recording will allow for something bigger, but you are losing a lot of pixels to get an aesthetically pleasing frame. Could the parts of the sensor being used to pick up image and their corresponding pixels be changed at all? The sensor is bigger than HD, so what prevents the camera from using more of that sensor for video?

I am not requesting 4K out of my DSLR, I am genuinely wanting to know why it doesn't happen.

[sidenote] I would love to customise histogram position