Raw Video framing is off when using 60D's 'Movie Crop Mode'. Help!

Started by xiga, March 17, 2016, 10:39:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xiga

Thanks for the new test build dfort! Forget what i said above about me just using the Grayscale Liveview Preview, it's really not ideal at all, and after using your latest v2 build i can see a big improvement so let's keep going as i think we're getting close to a proper solution now!  :)

First off, i never tested Digital Dollying (from here on in simply referred to as DD) to the Top Right in the original vanilla nightly build, so i took a couple of quick test shots today on both the vanilla nightly build and on your v2 build and compared the Raw stills to the H.264 stills, and your v2 build is now much closer, so we're definitely on the right track.
The offsets i provided were only a rough guide (i tried to use Photoshop to come up with them but i probably didn't get it right tbh), and from the comparison between the two i think we have over-corrected in both directions (but not by much, and slightly more so in the vertical direction). So we need to back off slightly on the numbers that have caused the shift.
Once we get close enough (it doesn't need to be completely exact), it will be great to know that all i have to do is turn on Raw Video, DD to the top right (would obviously be ideal not to have to do this, it's one more thing for me to forget lol, but at least it's quick and easy to do), turn off Global Draw entirely, and then i can trust that what i see on the back of the camera is pretty much what is being captured.  :)

I've attached a link below to a folder of the shots i took today using your v2 build. It contains a still from the H.264 video, and a Silent DNG and MLV file (taken by DDing to the top right). You can see that they are now quite close. (in the original vanilla nightly build, the raw still was shifted left and up, whereas now in your v2 build we are slightly  too far to the right and down).

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=C14ECDF7700B5618!2535&authkey=!AJPDFT_upJ5JBmI&ithint=folder%2cMLV

You mentioned in your PM that you saw some corrupted frames in my last MLV. This worries me slightly, i don't know what a corrupted frame even is (or what it looks like) but if they're showing up in a 2 sec clip i can only assume there will be a lot in the 50 sec clips i intend on taking! Is this likely to be a big deal do you think? You suggested running the old raw_rec instead, so i took a Raw shot as well (it's also included in the folder above, you can check if there are any corrupted frames in it too). The problem with using raw_rec however, is that to my eyes there definitely appears to be more colour noise than when using mlv_rec, so i've shy'd away from using it. Does this sound right to you? I'm using MLVMystic to convert the MLV and RAW files to DNGs.
MLV Lite sounds interesting. I'd definitely be willing to give it a bash once we get the offsets sorted.

Again, thanks for all your efforts so far up to this point. Hopefully we'll get this sorted soon and it can be incorporated into future builds for other 60D users.

dfort

Ok--encouraging news.

First of all, this is what one of your corrupted frames looks like. This is from the previous MLV file set that you posted, specifically 640x480_MVC_frame_000014. You aren't seeing this on your end? (Your new set doesn't have any corrupt frames.)

This latest batch of files show that the MLV and RAW frames match up exactly--great. mlv_dump is reporting these values:

Crop: 280x96
     Pan: 273x96

Matching up the Simple Silent DNG with a DNG extracted from the MLV and run through dcraw (all run with the -4 -E option) then lining up the layers in Photoshop confirm that crop_X=280 and crop_Y=96. Finally, that tiff you provided from the H.264 video lines up at crop_X=272 and crop_Y=80.

That means I need to move it up and to the left by X-8 and Y-16 -- so the new adjustment would be:

{
        skip_x = skip_x + 3;
        skip_y = skip_y + 54;
    }

Hope my math teacher is checking because I've got a problem :D

The first MLV you sent, without any skip adjustment had these values:

Crop: 200x84
     Pan: 200x85

Now I'm no math wiz but the previous skip adjustments of x-5 and y+70 doesn't add up to where the new crop position landed.

I'm a bit confused about how you are using DD. Isn't the adjustments I'm providing eliminating any need to use DD to center the image? It looks like last time I moved it slightly to the left of where we started and now I'm moving it slightly to the right of where we started. Did you do something different?

Anyway, let's give this a try. Once we've nailed it we can play around with MLV Lite.

xiga

Sorry dfort, i did indeed do something different. For the last batch of files i used the DD to move to the far Top Right, whereas before i hadn't done this. I did it as i thought it was going to make things easier, but in hindsight it was just stupid! lol

I'm not sure why the 2nd batch had no corrupt frames, perhaps because i turned off Global Draw (Liveview only)? I can't think of anything else i did differently. Can you teach me how i can quickly scan all my DNG's for corrupt files? My 50 sec clips are going to have in the region of 2,400 frames each (and that's just for 1 panel of the mosaic) so i'd like to do some test runs at home just to make sure my settings are stable and i don't end up with a load of corrupt frames on a clear night. Actually, maybe MLV Lite will solve this?

I took a couple of quick comparison Raw and MOV videos using your v3 build. Again, i DD'ed to the Top Right (as your edits were based on me doing this), and compared the two. The good news is they came out very, very close! Vertically the Raw video looked bang on, it was only very slightly too far right, perhaps about 12 pixels or so (i'm no PS expert so i can't say for absolute sure though, the same goes for my original 5 and 70 pixel estimates). Also, there was a thin black bar on the far right of the Raw still.

Anyhoo, now that i know we won't be bothering with the Digital Dolly at all, i took a new batch of files using your v3 build (i left the DD alone). The link is below, it has the usual files:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=C14ECDF7700B5618!2540&authkey=!AJt7MDIvQiuhVeI&ithint=folder%2cDNG

Sorry about the mixup before. We're getting close now, i can feel it!  :)

DeafEyeJedi

Nice work, guys! Once this has been nailed down ... Would this fix be implemented for other cameras as well or is the 60D far too different from others?
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

dfort

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on March 24, 2016, 06:03:22 PM
Nice work, guys! Once this has been nailed down ... Would this fix be implemented for other cameras as well or is the 60D far too different from others?

This is the only camera and video mode that has been reported to be off. If others need adjustment at least we know it is possible. Hope I'm not opening up a can of worms with this.

So with this latest version mlv_dump is reporting:

Crop: 224x138
     Pan: 217x139

In Photoshop it appears that the y position is actually at 136. Maybe the tripod moved slightly? In any case, let's keep trying to nudge the frame a little closer to center.

The tiff frame from the H.264 movie file you supplied is at 273x78, I don't think we can work with odd numbers so let's call it 272.

Now assuming nothing else has changed the new numbers should be:

{
        skip_x = skip_x + 51;
        skip_y = skip_y - 6;
    }

Let's give that a try.

Quote from: xiga on March 24, 2016, 05:39:14 PM
Can you teach me how i can quickly scan all my DNG's for corrupt files?

It depends what computer platform you're using. I'm on a Mac and MLP is great for making mov files. Another app, though it isn't maintained and has issues with some files is MlRawViewer. I'm using version 1.4.3 and it is great for quickly reviewing MLV files.

xiga

Dfort

You, my friend, are a legend. Your v4 build looks to be pretty much bang on!  :)

I took some test shots (link below) on your v4 build (apologies for the low quality, they are night time shots in Movie Crop Mode across my living room at a very high ISO, but at least the pattern on the curtains makes it easy to spot movement  ;) ). I should also point out that my tripod is not great, and my floors are terrible in terms of being level (don't get me started on that one, lol) so if there are a few pixels of movement showing here or there, it could absolutely be down to that). But the good news is, the Raw video is now showing almost an identical framing to the H.264 video!  :)

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=C14ECDF7700B5618!2545&authkey=!AAmIA2Hkffx_Ba0&ithint=folder%2cDNG

Have a look at the files yourself, just to check there are no corrupt frames again, and that you agree it now looks close enough (i can see a very, very slight difference vertically, but like i say this could just be down to my circumstances, and for my purposes anyway this is more than good enough).

Thanks for the heads up on MLRawViewer. It seems to be working ok for me here on my Windows 8.1 machine.

As far as i know, the only other camera (apart from the 60Da, which is a very niche camera to say the least!) which has a similar 640x480 Movie Crop Mode is the 550d, so perhaps this fix will also work for it (will need tested obviously though).

For everyone else here's the stills from the .MLV and .MOV files in the folder above:

.MOV

.MLV

Let me know what you think dfort, but to me it looks like we've finally solved this (well, you have really!).

xiga.

dfort

I can see some vertical movement on your mov file so it looks like we shouldn't try to tweak any more.

According to mlv_dump the latest numbers are:

Crop: 272x78
     Pan: 265x79

That is exactly the crop we were after from the previous test.

This is now probably as good as the other video modes. I'll go ahead and put in a pull request so the developers can check it out. You say that the 550D also has this mode or something similar to it? Maybe a developer can verify that and it can be tested on that camera if necessary.

I'll also prepare an MLV Light module for you to test out--please report your findings to the MLV Lite topic.

DeafEyeJedi

5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

dfort

a1ex suggested a better fix patching the raw recorders. @xiga are you still checking the forum? I sent you a PM.

In any case, if anyone with a 60D that can test out this issue, I made a testing build using a1ex's fix:

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=12608.msg165718#msg165718

Here's the pull request for feedback:

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/pull-requests/693/fix-mv640crop-mode/diff

xiga

Sorry I missed this guys. I will test this out as soon as i can and report back.

dfort

Made an update today. Should work same as the previous test that worked but this one has all the latest updates and does the centering on the backend instead of the modules. It is a full moon so if you want to give it a try tonight.

dfort

Hi 60D users -- I just wanted to update this post to inform you that the changes we made to center mv640crop are now in the nightly builds. Thanks xiga for this.