Our Video Player

Started by sgbzona, March 12, 2016, 05:12:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sgbzona

Hello  :),

We have been on this project for some time now. Until now, we decide to release a Lite version of our player.
OHDRVP, is the first version of our App for Mac and Windows. It features reading MOV files with multi-exposure or Multi-ISO to be processed and tone-map. It is able to export the frames into exr, so you can use any other video editor for post-processing.

You can try one of these versions at: http://www.photongram.com

Any comments, bug hunting and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks. ML Community.

dfort

Comments: No documentation? If this is a "lite" version does it mean that there is also a "full" version? Where does it save the exr files?

I gave it a try. The first demo video is longer than the "limit" on your lite version and the other demo video exported exr but where?

Most important--is this an open source project or proprietary software.

DeafEyeJedi

I second those questions as well ... Hmmm?
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

sgbzona

Hello,

Well in the Mac Version the saved files will be at the location where the App is placed. For example, if the App is on the Desktop, it  will be created a folder with the same file name as the video file. Inside that folder the exr files will be saved.

Sorry, the documentation will be on-line very soon.

At this moment we have not decided if it will be Open Source. We have a full version with many options and TMOs but it is not ready for public download. We are working on it.

Thanks.

dfort

Quote from: sgbzona on March 13, 2016, 10:30:20 AM
Well in the Mac Version the saved files will be at the location where the App is placed.

Ok--well since it is a Mac app and the installer has the familiar Applications shortcut install, I installed in /Applications. Looking over the exr files that were exported by ohdrvp from your shorter demo video they are all pure white--no image. The exr sample files on your website look fine on my Mac.

If you want to include features that would support Magic Lantern you might consider playback from MLV raw video files. There is a Python based player called MlRawViewer but development has stopped on that project. Having a new MLV player would certainly create interest in the ML community. If that player could also work with Dual ISO and HDR and export EXR files, well that would be heaven.

sgbzona

Hi,

Quote from: dfort on March 13, 2016, 05:03:09 PM
Looking over the exr files that were exported by ohdrvp from your shorter demo video they are all pure white--no image.

Indeed, the exr will look white, because are not tone-mapped, it is the raw data, it is the HDR data from the video.

We are considering MLV Raw data for the next Lite version.

Danne

How does the previewer work? The only effective filter I,ve seen handling HDR material is the tblend averaging filter in FFmpeg.
Why not open source? That is spirit built around most initiatives on this forum and magic lantern. And especially so since you are asking for feedback. Would love to check your code and stuff.

dfort

Quote from: sgbzona on March 14, 2016, 05:18:37 AM
Indeed, the exr will look white, because are not tone-mapped, it is the raw data, it is the HDR data from the video.

Guess I've got a lot to learn about exr. Seems that it is easy enough to look at the files exported from your player in Photoshop.

Change the mode to 16 Bits/Channel then choose Merge Layers

This will open the HDR Toning tool. Default settings look pretty good.

Haven't figured it out in After Effects or DaVinci Resolve.

Quote from: sgbzona on March 14, 2016, 05:18:37 AM
We are considering MLV Raw data for the next Lite version.

That would be great. You might want to read the Official statement about ML's GPL license and its violation:

QuoteIf you use the code, or parts of it and distribute it (or even sell it), you must release this code (per the GPL).

For more information I'd recommend contacting the main Magic Lantern developer, a1ex.

sgbzona

Hi,

I know, that is one of the reasons we have not yet decided to include MLV Format into this release.

That would be great. You might want to read the Official statement about ML's GPL license and its violation:

For more information I'd recommend contacting the main Magic Lantern developer, a1ex.

Quote from: Danne on March 14, 2016, 07:43:08 AM
How does the previewer work? The only effective filter I,ve seen handling HDR material is the tblend averaging filter in FFmpeg.
Why not open source? That is spirit built around most initiatives on this forum and magic lantern. And especially so since you are asking for feedback. Would love to check your code and stuff.

We are using our own method, that mainly I developed during my PhD, this is more effective for video because it was designed for that kind of task. We are still considering an Open Source version.

Thanks.

DeafEyeJedi

Just think about it @sgbzona. Keep it simple. Open source will not only benefit us in the ML community but will take your so called Video Player so far that you could ever have imagined being possible.

However, I understand why you're feeling a bit conservative with your app and honestly I don't blame you but at the end of the day we as a group are all contributing in so many ways on so many different levels and that's the beauty of this community.

In other words ... Let us help you help us!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109