Can't record 29.97fps let alone 40fps 5D III

Started by markodarko, March 09, 2016, 01:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markodarko

Hi guys,

Firstly, thank you for all your help with developing ML. I bought a 5D III in November specifically to use ML after trying it out on my 5D II and so far it's been great! However, I tried shooting at a higher frame rate than 23.98 fps yesterday and could not record for longer than 10 seconds or so at 29.97 fps, let alone at 40 fps like others are managing.

What am I doing wrong?

I have a komputerbay card as recommended here and I'm running v1.13 of ML from November as I was told that v1.13 was more stable than v1.23.

Global Draw: off
Preview mode: Hacked
Sound: off
Record size: 1920x1080
Aspect: 16:9
Canon menu setting: 29.97fps ALL-I
Buffers etc: as default installation

Even with the display set to "hacked" so that it doesn't update the display, the only time I can get continuous recording is to set the aspect to 1.85:1 but if I try and use the display at all with "hacked 2" or "auto" then no joy.

One last thing... I'm using 2 cards. The SD card which has got ML installed only and the kompubay UDMA7 128Gb CF for recording only.

If someone has experienced the same problem and has a solution then that would be great as I was under the impression that a 5D III with ML should record 1920x1080 @ 29.97fps with preview with no problems according to the speed chart I've seen? (Do I need v1.23?)

Thanks again for all your help.

Cheers,

Mark.

Walter Schulz

May I ask who claims to record 1080@40 continuous in RAW with 5D3?

markodarko

Walter Schulz

Nothing written about continuous RAW recording in 1080p there. RAW recording with this frame rate and resolution would require about 138 MByte/s bandwidth, though.

markodarko

Ah, so 40fps is possible at 1080p, but not continuously. Got it. What about 29.97 fps at 1080p, should this be possible continuously?

Thanks for your help,

Mark.

Frank7D

According to this 5D3 can do 100 MB/s in crop mode.
According to this 29.97 frames/s requires 109 MB/s.

markodarko

Thanks for all your help. This was all a misunderstanding on my behalf.

I've since done some experimenting and found that if I set the canon menu to 60fps and set fps override to 45 in ML's menu then I can record continuously at the "squeezed" 1920x648 which is excellent and perfect for my needs.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

All the best,

Mark.