Battery Fail ...CF card corrupt!

Started by 20pictures, March 07, 2016, 09:40:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

20pictures

I did a photoshoot this morning, at sunrise. Right at the end the battery failed. I'm now trying to download the images but Lightroom just hangs. I put the CF card in a USB reader & it does not show a drive. I've never had this happen before & can only assume it has to do with Magic Lantern, as this is a new addition to the camera.

Putting the card back in the 5DmkII, I get a notice 'Card not formatted. Format with this camera'. I was willing to take the risk of formatting the card & then salvaging the images with a rescue software but all the camera functions are frozen & I can not format in camera!

Any advice ...there is no option to reshoot?

beauchampy

20pictures

I would try Recuva but the CF card is not seen by the PC or the camera...

Walter Schulz

Do you have access to a machine running Linux or OS X?
If card won't mount in Windows you have a better chance with Photorec and Unix derivates.

20pictures

I managed to format the card in an old 5D. Recuva has found a 2GB block of uncorrupted data but wont show it as individual files. Stella Phoenix has found all the images (& displays previews) ...I just have to pay the $39...

20pictures

QuoteI managed to format the card in an old 5D. Recuva has found a 2GB block of uncorrupted data but wont show it as individual files. Stella Phoenix has found all the images (& displays previews) ...I just have to pay the $39...

[UPDATE]
Reinserted the CF card into the 5DmkII & now the controls are functional. Reformatted the card then put it in a PC cardreader. Ran Recuva software again & this time it retrieved all lost images.

Result. :D

fauxtoejoe

Any special trick to get the "old 5d" to format the card? I've tried on multiple bodies, multiple computers both mac and PC but am getting nowhere!